Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How much can I legally pull with my 07 Dodge ram 3500?

spitzair ยท 2012-04-29 21:17

Hello guys and gals, I just installed a gooseneck hitch in my truck, a 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 dually 4X4... My boss and I got into a heated discussion on whether or not this was a waste of money as he figures that with the existing receiver hitch with those weight distributing hitch bars I could pull as much as with a gooseneck. I just can't see that being true as I see some hotshotters around here hauling what looks like 15K lbs of payload on tandem dual gooseneck trailers. So just how much can I legally tow? Do they base things on axle ratings or GCVW? If it's GCVW I'm sure that most of these guys hotshotting are way over... I'm in Alberta if that's of any significance... Thanks!

Replies8
  1. #1Tyler Abernethy2012-04-29 21:30

    When in doubt, ask Google, I saw a few results that looked pertinent. https://www.google.com/search?sourc...can+I+legally+pull+with+my+07+Dodge+ram+3500?

  2. #2broadview ranch2012-04-29 22:11

    a lot of towing has to do with multiple items. What are the axle ratings of the trailer, what type trailer brake system you have, what it the tag weight limit of your truck. I have an f350 with a commercial B-30 tag pulling a dual wheel 36' tandem axle goose neck. Each axle rated at 12K. BUt my tag set the limit. My total truck, trailer and what I am hauling can not exceed the B-30 which is 30,000 lbs. I also have to have a class D commercial lisc. to drive with this weight.

  3. #3CM19952012-04-29 22:46

    Welcome to the Forums broadview ranch!:drinkup

  4. #4spitzair2012-04-29 22:52

    Broadview Ranch, the axle ratings for the trailer are 10K each with electric brakes, I don't have a trailer yet but that's what I'd be getting, there are several around for rent of these as well... When you say the tag weight limit is that how much I could pull as a tag-along (pintle or ball hitch) trailer? I have a Class 1 license so the license isn't an issue. Thanks for the help so far.

  5. #5CRAFT2012-04-30 01:00

    I just posted the same answers you are looking for here on another thread titled "whats the max size mini can pull with a 1-ton" ...... but I'll give it to you straight from the DOT at the Haig scales : My truck is the same as yours with one of those "Hotshot tandem dually trailers" ....LOL..... You were correct with your assumption .... here in BC you can not (even w/bars) pull that kinda weight because of the 2 5/16" ball rating for straight drawbar pull, and the class VI hitch's are not rated high enough for the total ....... the balls used on a gooseneck are different from the receiver hitch type (look at the numbers stamped on the balls neck) In BC, ALL p/u's are really legally a commercial vehicle ..... you may also have to get a class-1 DL or may get away with the Heavy Trailer endorsement on a class 5 In BC it is Law that all commercial vehicles over 5500kg have to cross the scales as well as stop at all brake checks In BC you CAN up your gvw to 8200kg gcvwr and not have to get an anual inspection on your p/u. ......(remember tho, I carry a 410L tidy tank + 5th wheel hitch...trucks tare is 4500kg) 8201kg- 11,749kg ... anual inspection + you have to run a pre-trip book 100% of the time (including personal use, it's called acountability) 11,750kg + .... to the max axle and/or all tire ratings ... annual insp. + full time log book ....... it's an ICBC cash cow......jmho Hope this will clear up your problem ......cheers GK

  6. #6spitzair2012-04-30 11:24

    Craft, that is EXACTLY what I'm looking for! Thanks a bunch!

  7. #7Donns2012-05-11 11:17

    Don't know how your Alberta licensing works, here in Florida I only have my Dodge 3500 licensed for 9999Lbs. Can go higher in weight if I pay more but I, personally don't need it. Some places combine the total vehicle weight - including trailer - some don't. Sometimes it just seems that you can haul or pull whatever you can get away with. Dodge handbook will have some advice in it.

  8. #8Dualie2012-05-15 01:47

    all those fancy weight distribution hitches are, are just bandaids for not enough tow vehicle or a poorly balanced trailer. The gooseneck hauls the weight so much better and everything rides better on a gooseneck.