Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How much is a backhoe chassis supposed to flex?

Finca SDR · 2019-02-05 11:28

Hola everyone, I have a couple threads going right now cuz it's excavation high season around here and I've been working this old machine like crazy. But it keeps working in spite of everything... Now I'm wondering about all the interesting noises my machine makes as I position it in all kinds of marginal situations. For example, if I've got a corner of the front bucket in a rock with the front wheels I the air, and the stabiliser feet on crooked ground, the engine can start to run rougher, or different side or cover panels can start rattling, or what I noticed earlier was that my exhaust pipe was shifted over several millimeters and rubbing on the hood panel, when it doesn't do that on flat ground. So I assume this is from flexing and wrenching forces while working on irregular terrain. How much is normal? Could engine mounts or transmission or transaxle or whatever be loose? JD 310d I think something got installed crooked a few years ago and my torque converter got cooked real fast. So I'm a bit wary of when I perceive things as getting crooked or twisted. Any insight/ideas/experiences? Thanks everyone, as always a huge help for someone who's kinda new to the mechanical end of all this.

Replies6
  1. #1Billrog2019-02-05 15:36

    Their not made to rest on once corner of the bucket so there's bound to be consequences if you do.

  2. #2Finca SDR2019-02-05 15:38

    Hmmm... Good to know illI try to adhere to that as I go through my daily nonsense.

  3. #3Bls repair2019-02-05 16:22

    Have you checked engine,trans ,body and cab mounts? Check frame for cracks.

  4. #4Finca SDR2019-02-05 17:01

    No, but thanks now I know to check all that stuff.

  5. #5rondig2019-02-05 23:35

    Sounds like the old girl needs a day at the spa

  6. #6Vetech632019-02-06 07:17

    or a assisted living center.