Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How much leakage before you rebuild a hyd cylinder?

Panorama · 2009-07-11 22:26

Just curious to hear how much external leakage you guys allow before you rebuild your hydraulic cylinders. When you see any sign of oil? When there is a very slow drip? Or When it is dripping a lot?

Replies25
  1. #1B.U.S.I.2009-07-11 23:33

    As soon as I see oil left on the chrome, I rebuild.

  2. #2JonesBros2009-07-12 00:33

    Whenever its convenient. Past the point of seepage but not to the point of a dam breaking.

  3. #3ozybob2009-07-12 00:46

    Hi! Any hyd cylinder that is leaking should be rebuilt, as contamination of the entire hydraulic system will eventullay occur and cause lots more damage. cheers ozybob

  4. #43thirteen2009-07-12 00:53

    If it is enough that you notice it might be time to re-seal or rebuild.

  5. #5mathuranatha2009-07-12 01:12

    I didnt know that.Does it mean that contaminants,dust ,grit etc get sucked back in the leaking seal under certain conditions?

  6. #6krich2009-07-12 02:32

    Normally its up to you and how much your prepared to pay for oil, but rule of thumb is oil leaking out of the head is bleeding pass the head seals, as long as the wiper seal is still intact then your ok and do it when it gets annoying, but if the wiper seal is damaged or gone all together then get it done asap as you risk the chance of contamination being draw into the head seals and possibly the hydraulic system particularly if it the bucket cylinder.

  7. #7roddyo2009-07-12 02:37

    It depends on the work also I do a lot of burning so I keep my equipment pretty dry.

  8. #8krich2009-07-12 03:03

    Yep the last thing we want to do is give the Arabs any more money than we need to.

  9. #9tootalltimmy2009-07-12 11:58

    The US imports more oil from Canada than any other country. We like your money!

  10. #10AtlasRob2009-07-12 14:34

    I do hope this thread is not turning political besides is that really TRUE ? :jawdrop

  11. #11tootalltimmy2009-07-12 15:06

    My comment was not meant to be political. Canada is #1 and followed by Mexico for exports to US.

  12. #12AtlasRob2009-07-12 15:17

    Chill my dear chap, chill, I was only pulling your leg. You might want to change that font back to normal though.

  13. #13krich2009-07-12 15:42

    Its ok we can send it back in smog and green house gases,

  14. #14stock2009-07-12 15:49

    Sherrr tis all the land of da yank.....

  15. #15tootalltimmy2009-07-12 16:50

    Sorry. Just trying to help out the old guys with poor reading eyesight like me!! I ran an old ex 200 that the boom dropped when you pulled back on the joystick. That combined with John Deere controls really screwed me up. I think they added hydraulic oil every day. This is good info. Taking care of the cylinders is important.

  16. #16ozybob2009-07-12 20:09

    Hi! Well sometimes we think just another bit of oil will not matter, have to get the job done. Time must always be planned to maintain the machines that make us a living, thanks for the reply.

  17. #17krich2009-07-12 20:40

    yep your right, dammed if you do and dammed if you don't

  18. #18Panorama2009-07-12 23:29

    If the head seal looks okay.. no chips or cracks does that mean it is okay and I can wait a bit longer to reseal a bit longer? Or is this pushing it?

  19. #19willie592009-07-13 00:03

    It's your choice Panorama. The wiper has one purpose, and one purpose only; to "wipe the rod of debris that would comprimise the gland seal" and keep contaminants out of the hyd system, i.e. water or grit. If the wiper is still intact, it's probably doing its job. So the question is the oil leakage. That has nothing to do with the wiper, that is the job of the gland seal. It's like this; you notice a little oil on the rod...hmmm. Oil begins to "drip", now it starts making a mess on the machine. Now it's constantly leaking, get your wallet out to buy more oil to replace what you've lost. My point is; the wiper is not the issue here, the gland seal is. If you see evidence of oil leakage, the gland seal "is" going bad. And the only thing for certain is it "will" get worse. It's just your choice as to when to repair it; while it's just seeping oil...or when you really need the machine and it's pouring oil.

  20. #20AtlasRob2009-07-17 13:45

    Man, aint that the truth you ever notice the dang things never breakdown while your not using them

  21. #21ozybob2009-07-17 19:17

    Silicon enemy # one Hi! to everyone, I have been reading the messages with great interest and have found that most of the trouble we all have to face is "Silicon enemy # one" in other words dirt, it is a real component killer. I work for a Caterpillar dealer: We a lab that tests each oil sample and then a trend is built up and any abnormal wear or even the slightest increase in readings can be evidence that that component may have a problem, such as a high metal in a front wheel bearing, could indicate the hrad surface of the bearings is failing and a quick look at the bearings for example could save the spindal etc, in other words lots of money. You can have a look for at another oil analysis company, they are called "Wearcheck" I have pasted a web link to an aryicle you may find intersting, there is a wearcheck in the USA, simply go to the link below and follow the sites very intersting technical articles. http://www.wearcheck.com/literature/techdoc/WZA003.htm I would advise everyone to use the many Caterpillar dealers SOS oil analysis centres. A little effort and a few dollers spent, could save one Thousands in replacing or repairing failed components. One last thought, do you know that it only takes one tea spoon of dirt, ie. silicon to contaminate a 45 gallon drum of hydraulic oil? That oilcould not be used in a clean hydraulic machine circiut. Hope that I have not bored you all to tears, just trying to help. Ozy Bob

  22. #22willie592009-07-17 20:13

    Or...when the mechanic shows up to fix the quirky problem it's having! All of a sudden it's working perfectly.

  23. #23alco2009-07-18 00:39

    I figure if you're starting to measure the leak in gallons per minute, a rebuild may be getting close...lol. Brian

  24. #24joispoi2009-07-18 14:44

    It will only cost you more in hydraulic fluid if you wait to make the repair...and maybe lost referrals. Most customers don´t want leaky equipment on their property. Image is important. Showing that you take pride in your equipment indicates that you probably take pride in your work, too. If it´s leaking, fix it.

  25. #25crossthreaded2009-07-18 19:05

    I had a contractor show up to my course with a leaky machine that he was going to be running in one of the fairways ointhead