Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How much oil

Btad ยท 2023-09-15 12:58

I have a 1984 GMC Medium/HD Trk Brigadier J8C042 5.2L MFI Diesel 6cyl I think it has the wrong oil dip stick So I was hoping some would know how much oil it holds Or who to contact to find out I included a pitcher of the label on the valve cover It has all the builed information Thanks for all the help as usual

Replies12
  1. #1IceHole2023-09-15 16:18

    6-53? Only Detroit I can think of that's around 5 liters

  2. #2cfherrman2023-09-15 17:49

    The dipstick part number is on the valve cover

  3. #3Welder Dave2023-09-19 00:18

    Could it be the infamous 8.2l?

  4. #4Coaldust2023-09-19 01:14

    My little, greasy, worn out, leaf eared, Detroit Quick facts book says 12 quarts for the 8.2. But, your mileage may vary.

  5. #5terex herder2023-09-19 07:53

    Don't think so, but it is the right color. There is a part number for "air box drain".

  6. #656wrench2023-09-19 10:12

    The edge of the valve cover is a 6V53

  7. #7Welder Dave2023-09-19 12:37

    There can't be that many trucks with a 6V-53 especially in 1984. It has to be one of the loudest trucks on the road too.

  8. #8nowing752023-09-19 12:47

    have to love the sound of a screaming jimmy. I had a 453t i was going to put in a pick up but never got around to it.

  9. #9Truck Shop2023-09-19 13:39

    Those run best at 3 quarts.

  10. #10IceHole2023-09-19 17:26

    That's not a 6 cylinder.

  11. #11Welder Dave2023-09-19 17:53

    I missed that. I thought 5.2 could have been a typo and didn't think the 6V-53 was too common in trucks.

  12. #12IceHole2023-09-19 19:17

    A friend has one, though it's a 60s, maybe early 70s GM. 6wd potato truck.