Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

how much overhang is too much

farm ยท 2014-04-23 10:15

G'day all, I've got a pc220-5 digger and currently dont have a way to move it around, it was delivered to us on a hyd widening $100k float and Im not sure I can quite justify spending that sort of coin on a trailer for an old farm excavator. Given the pc220-5 is 2.98 with meters wide with .6m wide track pads and most standard drop decks or floats a 2.5m wide is there enough track on the deck to keep it there with the normal amount of chains and binders? Or do we need to extend the trailer's width a little? Any advice appreciated Steve

Replies4
  1. #1Deeretracks2014-04-23 11:04

    You should be just fine, I like to keep at least the track chain sitting on the deck. If 1/3 of the pad is hanging off I'm not concerned. We move our Zx225's & Zx245's on a 8Ft-6in deck w/o flipping out the wing boards.

  2. #2farm2014-04-23 11:24

    how wide is a zx245? that sounds fairly wide for a standard deck? if that works ok I think I should be alright steve

  3. #3Deeretracks2014-04-24 00:27

    10'-2" at the tracks.

  4. #4gkenworth2014-05-10 16:49

    Just a note. It's commonly not the drive on/off a narrow trailer that the excavator slips off, its the momentum when a fellow slows down the house after spinning around to lay the boom back down towards the back. Slow & Steady.