Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How much pulling force do I have?

Barky ยท 2013-11-30 22:46

Here is a bit of a murky question. I have a dresser 175C loader that's similar to a TD 15 dozer although with shorter grousers. It weighs about 39K as it has a few extras on it. I broke a 30,000 lb work rated tow strap the other day pulling some logs and was surprised. It didn't seem like the dozer was loaded down much when it broke. The soil was slightly frozen and traction was good. Does anyone have a guess about what this machine would have in terms of pulling force? The strap I used looked good but maybe it was sun rotted, I don't know . A friend suggested maybe 55K in pulling force, does this sound right? Seems high to me. I posted this under dozers as there is more action up here. Any good guess's B

Replies20
  1. #1Barky2013-11-30 23:02

    And then after breaking the strap I go and tip my skidloader over !!!

  2. #2mitch5042013-11-30 23:11

    Dang, and you didn't even have a strap to pull it over with anymore. How'd you tip that? Oh, and a note on the strap, they rate them for a steady pull, if a log hit something and jerked to a stop, they'll break at less. I wouldn't think your drawbar pull would be much above operating weight. If you have a Cat performance handbook, you could look up the drawbar pull for a similar size Cat.

  3. #3td25c2013-11-30 23:43

    I'm thinking on flat solid ground the the max pull will be close to the tractor weight. Nebraska tractor test lab ran a TD 15 weighing in at 24,555 lbs. (bare tractor) and show it's max pull at 21,275 lbs. http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2212&context=tractormuseumlit

  4. #4td25c2013-11-30 23:49

    Boy that was a rough day Barky!

  5. #5powerjoke2013-12-01 01:10

    All depends on how hard the lil booger was nailed to the ground, the only thing stopping you would be a mechanical failure such as axle busting or track or until the TC started slipping (if equipped) I've seen videos of a d8 sliding on ice so Bad that 2strong men looked like it could stop it lol. If you've had good luck with a 30k strap in the past stick with it to keep handling and replacement cost it a little easier to deal with. Just my opinion tho, if you think you need a 50k buy one One time I bought a spool of double braided ship mooring line that had a 8" diameter with a breaking strength of something stupid like 1m pounds or something (I forget now) and we have yet to bust it but it's so damn heavy it weighs something like 20lbs per foot, we have yet to figure out how to tie a knot in it either...... The knot ends up to be the size of a Volkswagen lol With that being said we have drug out many of 627vs627 buried with a 3" bungee rope as long as the operator keeps it out of high gear it holds up fine lol. Pj

  6. #6alco2013-12-01 02:22

    Kinda sounds like you need to learn how to splice rope....LOL. Build a couple different lengths with eyes spliced into each end, and you're all set.

  7. #7wilko2013-12-01 10:53

    The problem with a tow strap being used to skid logs is it gets small cuts from rocks and loses it's integrity.

  8. #8td25c2013-12-01 12:08

    Agree wilko. Yarding logs calls for cable & chokers. www.westechrigging.com/wire-rope-logging-chokers-choker-hooks.html

  9. #9powerjoke2013-12-01 12:24

    Have u ever tried to loop a 4 1/2" rope ? Lol this is tightly braided stuff, in order to get the inner core out of the outer we had to portopower the outer layer apart and then it was up to 5-6guys to wrestle this stuff apart.....finally got the core out and then realized we wasn't even close to being 1/2way done and gave up on the whole loop idea I called Samson and asked for a few pointers and they just said to send it back to them and they would loop it Btw it looks like my memory is fading, according to thier website this stuff is 42lb/ft ....... It was an eyes were bigger than my stomach kind of a moment lol, I only gave like $500 on eBay for the entire spool so it's not really a big loss But If you think u can do it I'll gladly pay your airfare and send you and the farm on a week long vaca lol, not that I want a loop in it that bad but more that I don't think it can be done. Back to the OP we've had some straps that's set on the ground and rot I think? Still looked good but broke at way less pull than was put on them in previous situations

  10. #10stinkycat2013-12-01 17:20

    Sampson Braid is a whole different animal you don't splice like wire rope or stranded rope you back braid it It's somewhat like the old Chinese finger cuffs Find a old Navy Boatsmate they love Sampson Braid

  11. #11stinkycat2013-12-01 17:25

    sorry

  12. #12alco2013-12-01 18:18

    First off, I'm a bit confused. You said it was 8" to begin with, now it's 4 1/2". I have spliced eyes into 2 1/2" double braided marine rope without any difficulty, so, although it would be more work for larger diameters, I know it can be done. A couple more posts, and it should be down to 3/4" at this rate....LOL. I'm just buggin ya.

  13. #13mitch5042013-12-01 18:35

    I work on a tugboat some, and towing hawser is specced by circumference, not diameter. If you really want to work with that stuff, try pulling a hundred feet or so back aboard when it's saturated with seawater. The old guy who owns the tug will splice eyes in that easily, but I absolutely cannot do it. As for tying loops, it is possible to put a bowline in it, but it's work. Mostly we just use a steamboat hitch to secure it. We pull over a million pounds of barge, concrete, and loader with a steamboat hitch, and you can untie it easily, even under load, though if you untie it under a huge load, it may take you with it when it goes. If you are using line with a lay (twist), make sure you make the hitch in the same direction as the lay, usually to the right.

  14. #14powerjoke2013-12-01 18:57

    Lol ok 3/4" then Lol I dunno why I typed 8" I guess I could blame it on my fat fingers and a small keyboard :tong I'll look next time I'm at the shop I'll take a pic hell it may end up being 1/4" hi-test chain haha Pj

  15. #15powerjoke2013-12-01 19:08

    I'm gonna have to google the knots your talking about but is it kinda like you would tie a fishing lure?

  16. #16powerjoke2013-12-01 19:43

    OP sorry for hijacking the thread. Here's a pic for alco, looks a like your right the rope is getting smaller lol it's 4" ......... 12" circumference....... I swear last time I tried to loop it I thought it was as big as a basketball lol Pj

  17. #17mitch5042013-12-01 22:55

    You make several wraps around what you are hitching it to, then pull it under itself and make several more wraps the other way. If you are going to be going slack and tight repeatedly , make a wrap after passing it under, then under again, then make a few wraps. It would be very easy to show you, but it's hard to type on a stupid phone. It's really simple, and won't get stuck. I'll look and see if I caught one in any of my tug pics. If I am around my friend's wife I will get her to video me tying it and put it on YouTube.

  18. #18powerjoke2013-12-01 23:01

    Lmao.... Huh ?

  19. #19mitch5042013-12-01 23:17

    I don't do videos and pics and stuff for voluntarily, the videos I have (like in my thread about using the 580sk at sea) were posted by the wife of a friend of mine who thinks stuff like that is more fun than a box of puppies.

  20. #20gusbratz2013-12-02 14:54

    oh it can be broken, I remember in navy boot camp seeing training videos of mooring lines breaking and cutting in half like 6 life sized crash dummies. Few years later in real life we had the astern throttles stick open about 5% during a main engine warm up and those lines were creaking and popping. people were scattering like rats. it is amazing how much power a ship has. bowline, make a loop. push the rabbit out of the hole under the log and back down the hole.