I could only find threads really old (10 plus years) on how much to charge for my dump truck hourly..... its a 6 wheeler GVWR 33,000 lbs and can hold 7-8 yards at a time. I also need to find out if I charge the same for hauling equipment with the same truck and a 20 ton tag trailer. I am also in new England 45 min from Boston so the prices here tend to be much higher then down south. any info would be much appreciated!!!
Average for a single axle is around 60-65 per hr. In ohio. Tend to max at around. 80-90 for 6 axle dumps, with a 3 hour minimum. Hauling equipment can be slightly higher depending on what your hauling.
Across the river here in the taxed twin state, I used to charge $65/hr for my F550 (4 yards). Then I started getting so much excavation work that pays much better so now I'm not doing as much trucking. Doesn't make sense when I can make more with the excavator. In the event that I do some trucking now, I charge from when I leave my place to when I return. Customer pays for all my time. For my excavation work I buy a lot of materials and most truckers charge $85-95 for a tri axle. I take it you're in the southern most part of the state since you're so close to Boston?
Trucking rates are so area dependent. Wouldn't even find a single axle rate here as no one hires them, it's only people running them for themselves, but a tandem is $85/hr.
yes i'm in southern NH in rockingham county. everything is crazy expensive here. Yah I own a 17,000 lb excavator too. I'm just starting my company so I'm taking whatever I can for work. the goal is to just dig dirt in the future. I want to be in a machine not a truck that's for sure. I'm a single dad and needed to find a way to be there for my daughter and support us too. thats why I spent my whole nut on a truck, trailer and excavator and created Dad and Daughter excavation.
I’m currently seeing $120 @ hour in South-Central for a ten-wheeler. The price drops dramatically in the winter for snow-hauling.
Its really no use comparing rates from this far away but I can say singles bill the same rate as a tandem for me A single axle is a niche market and they will pay if you can get it into a lake lot or a tight spot in town that other trucks cant get Or somebody that is just looking for 4 yards of landscape rock Basically I could rent a quad and operator for the rate I am going to charge to deal with bringing out 2 yards black dirt on a single Thats the market you need to pursue Equipment hauling should be 1 1/2 to 2 times the rate of the truck
Like you mentioned, Jonas302, the single axle has its place delivering garden soil and landscape material to home owners. There is a young fella in Wasilla that recently started a dirt hauling biz with a twist. He is using a single axle rig and a pickup/dump trailer combo. All his pricing and materials are on his website. You can order direct from his website, material and quantity. Very convenient vs hiring a truck and making arrangements with the pit. The pricing is fairly competitive especially with LTL orders. He invoices via text message, keeps the customer informed on delivery time, and his equipment doesn’t leak oil all over your property. Very impressive business model.
The other thing I like about this model, is I don’t have to call around the pits to find who has what material. I think the pits like that too. They get annoyed by home owners looking for a certain product when they are dealing with their regulars & 1200 yard orders.
The home owner is just a pi$$ant in those cases.
There is a market for small orders and not one that I want to be in lol If your customer oriented there is money to be made deliver weekends be polite, modern, facebook text messaging all that stuff do the very best to satisfy and you dont have to compete with bigger trucks hauling bulk rates If you have space at home to make some stockpiles even better can get end dump loads brought in or stockpile on slow days so you can deliver when people are home Kid that works for us has and old ford 3/4 ton 4X4 he can take a yard and a half home with him and make the same as a tandem load gets because his truck fits though the trees down the slopes and fixes there goat trail
Definitely a big market for the home owners with the small loads, another area i'd say is huge would be a single axle with a 12-15 yard box for hauling black dirt and wood chips, get the same money as a tandem because it's the volume you need. Landscape places charge a fortune for anything, so if you got prices figured out delivered you could do very well going a bit cheaper. Dealt with homeowners and delivering black dirt a few years ago, did a bunch of trucking for a guy and he had no money to pay so we got like 150 tandem loads of dirt for free instead, didn't want to do it but was the only way to get paid. Made about $100/load which isn't bad, but many people are such a pain in the *** and it's such a small amount of money. Only way i'd ever do something like that again is get the load pre-paid in full by credit card before you even head to pick it up. Waiting around for people for cash or picking it up later, you don't end up making anything.
I charge a 110 an hour for a 3500lbs mini or a regular backhoe people dont question it I have 2 full set up rigs with a full set of buckets a hydro hammer and compaction wheel each backhoe lives on its lowboy and the clock starts at machine rate when the key hits in the morning to build air up and typically we charge till we are backed in yard at machine rates For what dump trucks charge around here I cant afford to own one there are to many people willing to do it for free
The homeowner market is fraught with risks. it's a two bit load but a $5000 concrete driveway when you bust the corner off it. I'd stay the heck out of that market myself.
Best policy for that is refusing to go on any driveways and making it clear ahead of time, or at a minimum signing off liability for damaging it. Also a benefit of getting paid prior to getting loaded, load is already paid for so it's not like you risk them saying they don't want it and not getting paid.
Ex Boss took on a lot of smaller jobs with the quads we used, tough days getting into and out of tiny places for minimal loads. Our average haul was 20t, orders of 10-12t were a waste of the machines so he began waving off to guys with 2 1/2 to 5 ton or from 5-12yd beds, they did not make much as to deliveries or haul offs but was a living.