I'm wanting to get a drop axle installed on our 09 T800. What is the cost to do this (axle, install & plumbing)?
I’m not sure what a steerable costs these days. Just an educated guess I’d think in the $5,000-$6,000 range. Choice of tire might change that a bit. Last dual tire pusher I bought was around $3,500. Assuming there isn’t a bunch of stuff to move to install I can see that costing more than $1,500. Cost of wheels and tires would be the other variable. It could go over $6,000 I suppose.
It depends. I spent ~$5k on a 16klb axle, 4x 17.5” tires/wheels, and and plumbing. I installed it myself.
Nice looking rig, reminds me of Elmer and Ernie Cook's rigs. Worked with them on some heavy haul stuff in the late 90's.
Thank you! Ernie does all of our moving. He just painted his lowbed truck the white & baby blue colors that Elmer ran in the 80s.
For a Hendrickson or Watson Chalin figure $5,800 with tag fenders. Labor strictly depends on where the vertical mounts end up. But use the multi-function valve for control up and down. I will post the valve model number in the morning, it's the simplest control valve there is. Truck Shop
Ernie is a good guy, when I worked with him it was hauling the Mourer scrapers to Ritchie bros in Maytown, I loaded at least 4 of those brakeless wonders on his trailer using nothing but the convertor to hold it while he chained 'em down.
The part number through Freightliner for the control valve is GTD-5040-411-01 Truck Shop
http://apscopower.com/liftaxel/liftaxelpanel.php I used the con-3a in my truck, cost $200ish.
I priced out a steerable silent drive from inland truck last year. 14-16K I think. It was just under $5,000 for all the parts needed. not counting the tires and wheels. I was going to do the work myself.
That's a regulator valve, I'm talking about the main air valve for up/down motion. The part number I listed above for the whole valve is only $182.68 my cost. It's the simplest there is to plumb. Truck
Mine is a regulator and control (lift/load) with push lock fittings. I’m not trying to be dense (trying to learn), how is yours different? My valve feeds two quick release valves which run the lift and load bags. One 3/8” line coming in the cab to the valve, two leaving. It looks like yours has a QR valve built in, and requires a pilot line to control the load pressure.
You just answered your question. The quick release is built into the valve no other valves needed and it's also equipped with solenoid for back up switch. Truck Shop
Awesome, thanks guys!
I got a quote back for $7500. That is a new Watson Chalin axle, wheels, tires, fenders & install.
That's about right with every thing included. Stainless fenders or aluminum, frame mounted? Truck Shop
Aluminum fenders & they are axle mount.
I looked at the schematic for this valve how is the ride bags regulated vs truck pressure for the lift bags
It's a full function valve it takes care of lift and ride. That's the good thing about it less valves less air lines easier mounting and the back-up air solenoid is built into it. It still uses a regulator valve for psi on the ride bags. All lift axle set-ups will still have a regulator, ours run about 70 to 72 psi to carry 9,500 on the lift axle. Truck Shop