Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How much truck do I need.

toyman ยท 2008-03-10 20:41

I have a 315 Cat excavator. Previously it has been moved by someone else. I am in need of a truck and trailer for this, can I get away with a single axle truck and a 25 ton trailer? Or should I look for a tandem truck with the same type trailer. I really don't want a front detach drop deck. The 25 ton trailer is the only thing this truck would haul, various machines. Thanks for your input. Toyman

Replies27
  1. #1HeyUvaVT2008-03-10 20:55

    i wouldnt pull anything bigger than a 312 without a tandem...and even with the 312 it shouldnt be an everyday thing...you want to make sure that you can not only get the load moving but that you have enough truck to stop it when you hit the brakes too...

  2. #2Kgmz2008-03-10 21:43

    No you cannot get by with a single axle truck. Why? Because the way these trailers are designed is that the tongue transfers quite a bit of weight to the truck. So depending on how much weight is on the rear axle of a single axle truck you would probably be overloaded. And you don't want to move you load back on the trailer to lighten the tongue, because then it would tow squirrely and not very safe. Also depending on where you are if you move the load back you will be overloaded on the trailer axles if it is a tandem. Around here we can carry 34,000 on a tandem, and 42,000 to 43,500 on a tri-axle depending on the spread. A tandem axle trailer 20 ton trailer weighs about 10,000 lbs., a tri-axle 25 ton trailer weighs about 13,000 lbs. And you are talking about carrying a 36,000 lb excavator. So if you figure this all out you need to transfer at least 10,000 and preferably more to the tongue for the truck to carry. When I am hauling somthing this big on our TrailMax TRD50 tri-axle, I prefer about 15,000 lbs. on the tongue. It just seems to ride and tow better. And as you can see this would probably overload a single axle, and I would want the extra brakes with a tandem.

  3. #3toyman2008-03-10 21:47

    Very good points KGMZ. I think I just found an L9000 right around the corner from me. I'm going to go check it over tomorrow, then all I would need is a trailer. Thanks for the input guys. Toyman

  4. #4Kgmz2008-03-12 18:21

    Just remembered something else I should have added before. Make sure that your pintle coupler is rated for the load and tongue weight. And that where the coupler is mounted is adequate for the anticipated loads. There a lot of pintle couplers that are only rated for 6,000 lbs of tongue weight, etc. We have Premier 2300 air adjusted couplers on our trucks, and they are rated for 100,000 lbs gross trailer weight and 20,000 lbs of tongue weight. http://www.premier-mfg.com/

  5. #5toyman2008-03-12 19:15

    I'm looking at a semi to pull my excavator with, mainly for a lower trailer height. Just not comfortable running it up 3+ feet to put it on a trailer. The trailer I am looking at is 24", I know it's only a foot but I feel better about it. Plus I will be a foot lower for branches and low flying power lines. Toyman

  6. #6Gmads2008-04-28 22:30

    Toyman, I was thinking about doing the same thing (single axle tractor with a fifth-wheel 25 ton trailer) for hauling smaller/non permitted equipment in the city. My thinking was a 34,000lb allowable on the rear/trailer tandems and 23,000 on the rear tractor. I was looking for feedback on this also as it seems like that would be sufficient to haul a 15 ton class excavator (maybe 36,000lbs). I wouldn't do it with pintle hitch setup but I'm curious to more feedback on the fifth wheel set-up.

  7. #7bear2008-04-29 01:46

    A tandem axle truck and a good lowboy trailer is what i recomend. max capacity max brakes and some good ponies under the hood. Be sure to get a good balance between the truck and trailer wieghts. I agree with a previous post and like just a tad more on the truck, especially in wet or snowy conditions for traction. as far as the lowboy, the front drop trailers are good, most of the ones i messed with had 3 axles on the rear which could occasionally make turning a pain in tight spots but carried the load well.

  8. #8hvy 1ton2008-04-29 02:42

    There is a guy that lives south of me that runs a single axle W900 with a 25tonn non-detach lowboy. He hauls a 580, 315c, and a dozer. I've never seen the dozer so i don't know what size. He really like the truck, hauls hay to Colorado with two 30' trailers when business slows down. He has a trail king like this one, except shorter and white to match the 900.

  9. #9euclid2008-04-29 07:53

    Might be a wise suggestion to ensure good brakes and good ponies since the idiot drivers and non insured immigrants in the D/FW would put your load at risk everytime you are out on the road. I can't really picture myself on 635 or the LBJ and trying to stop quick without something going really wrong....:IMO

  10. #10Gmads2008-04-29 17:32

    I agree that in a perfect world I'd have the luxury of overkill. My thought with a city truck is a shorter trailer and truck combo for agility around town. I only have one 15 ton class excavator but have 21 other pieces that would be OK on this combo (312 class on down/loaders/backhoes/compactors). Everything I have larger, I'd still contract out. I'd like a trailer like the one pictured by hvy1ton (just shorter) or like this: http://www.overbilttrailers.com/2535low.asp And I'd like a big powered single axle with maybe 350+ hp - Cat C12 or so. I just thought it'd be a little cheaper set-up, easier to get around town, maybe a little less upkeep/maintenance, and maybe less enforcement prone as I stick to non-permit loads. Of course, I also think I'm suave and good-looking, so there is plenty of evidence to show I'm not a very good thinker .

  11. #11euclid2008-04-30 07:21

    nice trailer shown! yes in a perfect world things would be different but you know the drill. I am from Ft. Worth originally and I've been gone over 30 years except for the ocassional visit and I still think about my friend who tells me of the non-licensed/insured drivers in the area and how the cops turn a blind eye to enforcement which is pretty much an oximoron unless it is you or I. :Banghead Well best of luck with your plans I hope everything will work out for you.:salute

  12. #12Gmads2008-04-30 10:56

    Thanks. Ironically, I'm 25-30 years removed from Columbia, MD (Howard County). Small world.

  13. #13euclid2008-04-30 12:58

    Have you been back? you might not reconize how it has grown. I live down in Calvert county for about 12 years now. I grew up in the Panhandle of Texas N.W. of Amarillo so that part of the state is home to me even though I have a few relatives in D/FW.

  14. #14Gmads2008-04-30 21:31

    Went back a few years ago to see the old house - seems so small now. Love west Texas. Used to date a girl from Miami (Miama) but never got to see the cow calling contest, and my wife is from Lubbock. Have a family ranch in Post - sometimes I get to act like a cowboy.

  15. #15euclid2008-05-01 09:49

    driving down FM 385 one day back in the mid 80's and I saw a farm that had a landing strip for crop dusting up on the north west end of Lubbock around muleshoe. I miss those hills and dust and what not way more than D/FW. Jusat roades and stuff no more country persa. Indeed a small world, did you have a Hard crab yearning like most Marylanders? hardcrabs are too much work, I'll shuck a oyster or clam in a heartbeat, ya'll have them crabs.

  16. #16Gmads2008-05-01 17:24

    No yearnings, but we always had a bushel on holidays - Memorial Day, Labor Day, etc. I do remember I used to love crab chips - potato chips w/crab seasoning on them. I'd take my allowance down to the Wawa and buy crab chips and candy. There's no accounting for taste.

  17. #17euclid2008-05-05 10:01

    Well if you need any utz chips you can order them on line. http://www.utzsnacks.com/products.html You know now they are limiting the amounts of crabs the waterman can harvest and it will make the market go up like crazy. The days of plentiful crabs are over I think.....

  18. #18hvy 1ton2008-07-09 15:59

    Picture I saw the W900 at a jobsite today thought i would post up a pic. The trailer doesn't look like the trail king i posted, but i thought thats what he said it was.

  19. #19hvy 1ton2008-07-09 16:02

    forgot the pic :bash Equipment on site 315C 420C 953C Hitachi 160

  20. #20toyman2008-08-05 22:09

    Seems like he would be overloaded with a 315 behind a single axle truck. I would like to see a weight slip per axle, but I need a wet kit on a truck also. The tractor I bought works great, but now I see the need for either a lead dump trailer or a set of trains. Any body want to buy a mechanically sound 87 LTL 9000? Toyman

  21. #21Greg2009-02-25 00:10

    Around here that much machine would go on a 35 ton lowboy detach gooseneck with a tandum axle tractor.

  22. #22dozert82009-03-07 09:59

    theres no problem hauling that on a 25 ton tag and real six wheeler not a 4400 ih with a 444 and juice brakes I mean a 330 pete 250 cat, a jake and real tranny 8ll or similar truck a lot of guys in ct haul 160's on this setup with no problems you could also get a hooklift they are very handy and if you have to throw a tag axle under it more braking and more payload

  23. #23blowerman2009-03-07 12:05

    160 sized When I added my 160 Volvo, all I had was a 20 ton tag to move it. While the quad pulled and stopped fine, the trailer length was to short to feel safe while moving the machine. Worked great for my D5 or mini but not the 160. This past fall I added a 25 ton towmaster with 24 ft. of deck. Works great and now everythings legal for my state.

  24. #24toyman2009-03-07 13:30

    I don't need a quad right now, but that is a nice set up. I've been looking at a 4700 International with a 350 and a 10 speed. ALready plumbed for air and elctric brakes. My current trailer is a 24' 12ton with electric brakes so I won't be using that. I will probably go to a 30' 25 ton Towmaster. Thanks for the replies guys. Keep 'em coming.

  25. #25Case 580e2009-04-07 09:25

    i moved 315 with a 20 ton trailer and a single axle

  26. #26shadow2010-05-10 23:30

    this is my first post. I was wondering if you could haul a 315 on a 25 ton tag behind a 6 wheeler with a pusher axle. thanks for your help

  27. #27mitch5042010-05-12 08:59

    It is possible to be quite safe and legal with 36000 lbs behind a single axle tractor on the right lowboy. I have done it on a single axle tractor and a single axle trailer but it was not legal though it did have plenty of brakes. When I say single axle tractor I mean a real one, same engine and trans. as a tandem and one large rear end instead of two smaller ones. That being said if I was going to have only one truck it would be a tandem for traction off road and the ability to pull other stuff later. I have never pulled anything that big on a tag because I have the tractors sitting there though I do frequently pull a 24000 lbs gross tag trailer. It is very common around here to pull 30 to 40000lbs on a single axle lowboy behind a tandem tractor (logging equip). I have many times pulled 70000 on a three or four axle lowboy a short distance with mine for maneuverability in the city of Myrtle Beach. The main thing is how you load equip. For more of my opinion see the thread "single axle tractor and lowboy".