Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How Much Will Makita 1/2″ Really Drive?

Birken Vogt · 2021-07-02 23:40

I just had a no-fun adventure with a rather large nut on a small engine crankshaft. I have my trusty and relatively new Makita XWT08 which is a big heavy battery impact and has not failed me yet. I did not have a big enough socket for this job, 46 mm or 1-13/16 so had to go borrow one. But it was 1" drive so had to borrow a truck tire gun to get the job done as well, and then had to rig air, etc. This has got me wondering, the Makita claims 1,180 ft-lb to break nuts loose. So has anybody tried one with something this large? Should I try and get a set of extra large 1/2" sockets for it? Or get 3/4" with an increaser even though I don't do much else of this size?

Replies16
  1. #1_Weldman_2021-07-03 00:19

    It will do it, I have a Milwaukee 1/2" that claims 1400 ft. lbs. I've taken lug nuts off semi before, and busted yoke nuts off a Eaton RS/DS 402 axles though when a nut gets really stuck sometimes you need a "truck tire gun" as it has the RPM and torque to spin it off.

  2. #2JLarson2021-07-03 02:34

    The makita's have def gotten better, they never have seemed to have quite the punch that the milwaukee fuel guns do but getting there, that was one of the big reasons we switched away from the LXT 18 volt stuff as our main cordless platform, that and lost more batteries then milwaukee.

  3. #3Birken Vogt2021-07-03 09:30

    I see Makita has a 3/4" gun but only slightly more torque than the 1/2" I already have. I was hoping to see them have a 1" gun with 2 batteries or something like that. My 1/2" has been tough as nails for doing angle torque head bolts and stuff like that but I am not quite sure I could have done this one with it, it's a shame I did not have the adapters to try it.

  4. #4CM19952021-07-03 10:02

    Same here. We have to MW 1/2" impacts for putting MJ fittings together. Also work great on lug nuts - pickups to our L9000. Pretty impressive for a cordless.

  5. #5ianjoub2021-07-03 10:13

    You lose a bunch of torque with any 'connections' you make. I'm sure it would have done the job if you had just a socket with no adapter.

  6. #6Birken Vogt2021-07-03 10:45

    I am finding it hard to find any meaningful socket set that large with a 1/2" drive, though. By the time you get that big they expect you will be driving with 3/4" or bigger.

  7. #7CM19952021-07-03 11:08

    Try Harbor Freight. Drops bomb and exits thread right stage...

  8. #8John C.2021-07-03 11:11

    I bought a 1/2" set of Mac impact sockets that go from 1/2" to 1 1/2" back in 1979 when I was working for the International and Link-Belt dealer. It was probably one of the best purchases I ever made as I have never seen another set like it and many people have commented about it over the years. I've used those with the Mac gun that came out just before the plastic ones that hit so hard. None of the sockets shows any wear at all even though they are my primary use set.

  9. #9crane operator2021-07-03 11:42

    https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Proto-J7446M-2-Inch-Impact/dp/B003PR22XS I've read reviews that the weighted socket sets for smaller crank bolts work really well also. https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-25276-Crank-Bolt-Socket/dp/B078K45ZQ4 https://www.amazon.com/Grey-Pneumat...dp/B003TOFNDS/ref=psdc_15709191_t5_B078K45ZQ4

  10. #10John C.2021-07-03 12:01

    "Black chrome," "12 point impacts," "you have to keep all of them together" and plenty more alarms are going off in my head about the ad copy on those sites. The only one that made sense was the Stanley socket, but the price of over $40 for one socket while probably in line with what it can be used for is pretty steep for only one piece.

  11. #11Bluox2021-07-03 15:15

    Look for Grey Pneumatic they have 1/2 drive up to 2 1/4 and their prices are reasonable. Bob

  12. #12JD955SC2021-07-04 19:05

    Sunex and grey pnuematic both have sets that go up to 1 1/2 and 36mm. also the battery impacts are great but don’t believe the wildly high torque claims they can only put out so much realistically without snapping that little 1/2” anvil.

  13. #13John C.2021-07-04 19:36

    And tearing out the square in the sockets.

  14. #14Jonas3022021-07-04 22:18

    If the engine turns the right way and can spin over another way to get the bolt loose is to set up a breaker bar against the frames rails and spin it with the starter Torque multiplier and sockets are another option

  15. #15JLarson2021-07-04 22:25

    The grey sockets are great, got tons of them, I buy their singles too. They also have like extra heavy duty ones in sizes like 33mm for truck lugs which is cool. The hobo freight impacts aren't bad either, I've got them on my rig up to I think 1 1/2" and haven't killed em, have the 3/4" sets too and they do pretty good on IR titanium guns for import junk lol.

  16. #16Birken Vogt2021-07-04 22:57

    That was my first attempt and the violence of it was astounding yet the nut did not budge. That is why I had to go back for the big gun, I thought the starter method would work, it's always worked for me before but not this time. I was letting the engine rotate a good 1/4 turn before impact, just leaving it against the frame directly has never worked for me.