Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How much work is there in Wisconsin?

Palmer78 ยท 2016-01-03 17:39

I'm a small excavating contractor in California, and work is slow but steady but I can actually make a living. My girlfriend wants to move to Wisconsin (Shawano area) and I have no idea if I can move there and still earn a living doing what I do. Where I live now I work primarily for homeowners and do drainage work, septic systems, retaining walls, pavers, placing base rock on driveways, and any other general excavating and grading someone might need. From what I have seen in Wisconsin so far is that people seem more practical than Californians in general so they probably don't spend money on their homes and yards if it's not needed. I would think Wisconsins might have less money to spend on projects too. So, I was hoping to hear from some Wisconsin contractors to get an idea of how busy they are. What kind of work load do you guys have and what type of work do you mostly do? If I do end up moving to WI I would try to get a job with a local contractor at first so I can learn how things work in Wisconsin, and so I can have some cash coming in while trying to get set up on my own. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Replies5
  1. #1old-iron-habit2016-01-03 18:06

    Tell your wife this. You can get a job wiping up Lambeau field tears after tonights Packer/Viking football game. Don't know if they will be tears of sorrow or joy. Time will tell. LOL There is lots of that kind of work in Wisc. Going to take time to get known and established. That being said I don't know of any contractors that would hire you knowing you plan on learning the "area" ropes and then leaving to be competition. Might want to find an employeer that is planning on selling out in a couple years and make a deal to work for him and set a buy out timeline. You would be established that way.

  2. #2Delmer2016-01-03 19:51

    Yep.

  3. #3garveymd2016-01-05 04:46

    Contact Darrin Stingle Trucking, Black Creek WI. Google search it. Talk to someone who really knows.

  4. #4blowerman2016-01-05 20:17

    Shawno is a great area, but you may need to look within an hour or two. Try Musson brothers out of Rinelander or James Peterson Corp. Big companies that you might find easier to get into and build up experience. I'd look Greenbay area as its within an hour drive. What type of work are you looking for?

  5. #5Palmer782016-01-06 00:14

    Thanks for the help. I would like to get on with an outfit as an operator, but I could work as a laborer too. At 37 I'm starting to get up there in age but I can still handle a shovel pretty good.