Wow, that is crazy
This incident has been discussed on this Board previously and are not the type of photos we are interested in posting here. Thanks.
Steve, ok.. duly noted for the future
WOW. Is all I can say. Talk about a case of stupidity. It never pays to try and save time when your working with this kind of equipment. One thing is for sure. When you lose respect for the equipment your operating or get cocky and think you know it all the end result is sometimes this type of outcome.
What was so graphic? I don't think posting nudes is apropreate in this forum how bad could a pic of a machine be unloading?
He was pinned under the tractor with no rops and the photo's of the body were of the up close kind if you get my drift. We had photo's like this when I was with a company I used to work for during saftey training and it set some guys straight,its a shame that it takes a life to get others to listen.
I feel a need to apologize for this, since clearly, to me anyway, I dropped the ball on this. One of our members tried to post that set of pictures several months ago. He, as a lot of people do, had trouble posting them because he hadn't sized them properly. I offered to help, but once I saw the photos, I had serious reservations about whether they were appropriate. A great deal of discussion followed, and I sought opinions from a number of people, one of whom is a safety professional. His opinion was that there is no value , to sharing such pictures, even in the context of safety education. At the time, I'd decided to post one of the set, and provide a little background, and my heartfelt opinion of why the rest were inapppropriate. That was the stumbling block, since the set is very disturbing, and I had a hard time coming up with words that I felt comfortable with. I guess I'd better come up with something now... The pictures depict a new dozer apparently shipped without the blade, or the ROPS. The person in the pictures was killed when the machine flipped end over end, as it was being loaded onto a trailer. The first pictures show only the machine, but then it is lifted, and the balance of the pictures are increasingly graphic, and increasingly close-up. The reasons I came up with, after much, much pondering, are as follows. The site the pictures originated from is one which contains an abundance of similar images. They are there to pander to that dark part of many people... call it morbid curiousity. (And that is being generous.) The part that makes that offensive to me, is that all of us , those who make a living around such machines, may be exposed to the same fate without a moment's warning, and 99.9% of those who would willingly look at such pictures would do it just for some sort of thrill, never appreciating the deeper safety lesson, or the reason it's so important to learn. I've typed part of this post with my two-year-old son on my lap. We can't know whether the man in the pictures has a child, or many. I can't bear the thought of one of that man's loved ones--wife, kid, parents, whoever--ever having to see their loved one in his final moments. I respect the motivation of the members who wanted to share those images with us, because they certainly do make a powerful statement about what can happen if you're careless, even for a moment. But, moreso, I want to respect the man who died, and his survivors, by not being a party to having such a grusome end spread all over the internet.
Well said. We had some background info as we stared at those pics when I was with Irving and the saftey officer explained it was a used dozer unloaded for shipment overseas to North America and it may be true or it may be another story,however at that time we had many operators my age or younger who thought they were king s*it in the seat and seeing photos like that really shocked them many looked like deer in headlights and it set them straight and thanks to visual aids like those photos they know think saftey above all else. But I agree with Digger as many on here know that there are younger viewers of this site and I for one would not what a child to view those kinds of pictures.
Absolutely right Steve and Digger, I avoided opening that post earlier as unfortunately I saw those pictures before after they were circulated by e-mail... I knew that if I waited a few hours they would be removed by the staff at HEF.
Before anybody else pm's me, I didn't make this thread. The original post got deleted and I by chance was the first person to reply.
I should have offered a better explanation earlier, but was headed out the door when I discovered this thread. digger echoes my feelings on this matter and very eloquently I might add. I think everyone here is aware things can go terribly wrong in the operation of heavy equipment and we don't mind reminding everyone of the continuous need to work safely around it, but to repeat what digger has said, we'd rather not post graphic injury or death photos here out of respect for the families of those involved in the photos and the members here who would rather not view it. To add a little to digger's description of what happened, it appeared the approach angle of climbing the ramps to the trailer was too steep, and without the weight of the blade on the front of the machine it rolled over backwards on to the operator, again without the ROPS in place. I believe the lesson here would be two fold, that the center of balance can change drastically on a machine when parts are removed, and that the ROPS should not be removed for shipping until after the machine has been moved for the final time.
hear, hear .. digger242j & Steve - Well stated. We had the same problem on the ACME BB, where a person, who was actually well advanced in years .. and who should have known better .. posted the same pics. I saw them and removed them, and advised the person who posted, that pictures of that graphic a nature, are not suited for a 'family rated' BB. He did agree that he stepped out of line, and promised not to do the same again. We all know, full well, the ghastly results of severe crush injuries, and particularly head injuries. We don't need to post and re-post that kind of thing on these BB's, because the pictures are .. 1. Disturbing .. and likely to be seen by children of immature years, thus creating the possibility of mental health problems in later years .. 2. Cater only to those, with a ghoulish nature, who have a 'kink' for sighting blood and gore .. 3. Don't really do anything, to make careless, or untrained operators, cease carrying out dangerous activities .. The best techniques for training and warning people of the inherent dangers of some activities .. is regular education, and on-the-job warnings .. of those activities. The older operators are mostly fully aware of the many traps, of altered circumstances in operation, that lead to extreme hazards. It's our job to ensure that the younger operators are educated in the circumstances that can lead to those hazards, that cause fatalities, and severe injuries. Severe slopes, poor loading facilities, and loading techniques, alteration or modification of attachments .. are just some of the many things that lead to these fatalities and injuries. I have no problem with pictures of any accident .. fatal or otherwise .. and an explanation of the circumstances leading to that accident .. but it can be done, without showing close-up pics of bodily injuries, of a graphic and disturbing nature.