Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How old is my 580 SE?

LD22 ยท 2023-07-07 18:51

Hello from N.E. Minnesota! I'm new to these forums... Last Fall I bought a Case 580 SE, and am wondering if there is a way to find out what year this machine is?

Replies21
  1. #1Tinkerer2023-07-07 20:37

    Welcome to Hef, LD22 ! Not without a serial number.

  2. #2Willie B2023-07-07 21:15

    I'll guess 1978 to 1983.

  3. #3LD222023-07-07 21:31

    On the left side as you enter the cab there is a tag with a product identification number (PIN)... The # is 17045981... Not sure how that helps me... There is also a serial # on a tag on the backhoe attachment... That # is 5466139...

  4. #4LD222023-07-07 21:33

    Willie... Is there a reason for your guess?

  5. #5Willie B2023-07-07 21:47

    I tried to buy a 1980 model. Sticks in my mind this model was made in that range. More research will improve that conjecture.

  6. #6Willie B2023-07-07 21:51

    580 was made in several letter suffixes. I near bought a Super E, made in Italy? G was made in Europe. I have owned B, K, & Super N. Some of these made in USA, others made on the other side of the pond. I prefer the USA built models. Those buying them new cited a $15000 dollar difference in USA price as compared to cheaper imported models.

  7. #7LD222023-07-07 22:19

    Okay Willie... You've introduced a new question for me... How can I determine "where" this machine was built? On a specs search the site that I downloaded the data from was out of the U.K.

  8. #8skyking12023-07-07 23:23

    old enough to know better Old enough to vote, twice

  9. #9LD222023-07-08 01:47

    Not sure what yer trying to say SK1? I'm trying to learn information about a machine that I own... Seems like you want to be a smart a**... If that's the case I will kindly ask you to go lay by yer dish!!!

  10. #10alrman2023-07-08 02:13

    Welcome to HEF @LD22 It would be one of the last ones built in 1987

  11. #11joe--h2023-07-08 02:14

    Off to a promising start, post number 5 and he's got an attitude. Joe H

  12. #12LD222023-07-08 02:41

    Damn straight Joe H... Not sure what SK1 was trying to say, but it didn't feel positive... I'm guessing that most here have "an attitude"... To quote the immortal Jimmy Hendricks... "Hey Joe where you going with that gun in yer hand?" Fun aside with the quote... I'm still for looking for info about my machine, and how I can find it?

  13. #13skyking12023-07-08 03:04

    It was a bit of humor. Sorry that you missed out on that. Take a look at this link, they have one picture of the data plate you are looking for. The other two you mentioned in your Original Post (OP) were the data tags for the ROPS and the backhoe attachment https://www.machinerytrader.com/listing/auction-results/211063995/1986-case-580se-loader-backhoes It might be on the left side near the loader arm, or on the dash area under the wheel.

  14. #14Tinkerer2023-07-08 08:52

    You will find everything you will ever want in regards to info and help on your machine right here in your thread. All you need to do is ask. If you don't have a service manual, it is a must have item if you are going to do any repair work on it. The parts book is available on-line and has a huge amount of information besides parts and part numbers.

  15. #15Willie B2023-07-08 09:26

    Well I was off. You can google specifications.

  16. #16LD222023-07-08 21:16

    Sorry... Still not getting the humor... Oh well... The tag in the cab I mentioned above is the same tag shown in your link... Not sure how that tells me the year of this machine? Perhaps the last 2 digits in the PIN?

  17. #17skyking12023-07-08 21:42

    do some searching with the SN, there is a database somewhere to put the year to the SN

  18. #18LD222023-07-08 22:04

    Umm... I'm here trying to find that database... I have an SN on the backhoe attachment, and a PIN in the cab of my machine (shown in the pic above)... Finding that database is proving to be problematic...

  19. #19Nige2023-07-09 04:28

    And after a couple of minutes on Google, the winner is confirmed, as previously posted by @alrman - 1987 To answer your question regarding WHERE it was built, it's right there in the top RH corner of the plate "Manufactured in USA".

  20. #20Welder Dave2023-07-10 19:48

    I think sometimes members on here try a little humor to lighten things up. Maybe they had a bad day or are just tired. Don't always assume the worst in people. I also think people get a little frustrated when someone just wants general answers without ever trying to look stuff up themselves. There have been a few threads started by students looking for easy answers to their tests or homework they're working on. Thankfully even though someone knows the answer they usually don't give it. You don't learn much by cheating. There are also instances where someone has been quite rude to a simple question like asking what year a machine was built. Not in this thread though. There is more knowledge on this forum that you'd find in most dealerships. Don't get an attitude and likely 95% of the answers you're looking for will be forthcoming.

  21. #21LD222023-07-11 01:36

    Great post WD! I'm not a student... Will be 61 years old next month... Still don't get the humor from SK... Guess I'm a bit daft... That said... I've been given excellent info here, and have learned exactly what I wanted to know... I have to give "Great Thanks" to the members of HEF!!!