Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How to add another hyd. control to a Hough H 60

lenray ยท 2011-12-29 13:08

I HAVE A Hough H 60 D wheel loader--probably a 1960's machine--It has one lever for up and down and one for the tilt on the bucket. I want to add another hyd. cylinder and another lever control. Is it open center or closed??? How does a guy hook this up???? Thanks for any help----pics would be super great. len in michigan

Replies8
  1. #1willie592011-12-29 21:57

    A machine of that vintage, I'd be surprised if it were not open center. If it is, simple/easy way to add another function would be add an additional single spool monoblock 4 way valve fed by the tank line of existing control valve. It would be the simplest and cheapest way of adding an additional function.

  2. #2lenray2011-12-29 22:06

    thanks willie59 Any chance you could walk me thru this a little more- are you talking a kind of splitter valve to use one lever to use two different cylinder functions with one on and the other off and vise versa???? Thanks len in michigan

  3. #3willie592011-12-29 22:35

    You are referring to a diverter valve, to divert the output of a valve section to operate two different functions by switching the diverter valve. Would work fine, unless you're going to be using both functions frequently, such as a grapple on front of bucket, which would require constant switching of the diverter valve. Kind of cumbersome in that application. I'm talking about an additional 4 way control valve, similar to the existing control valves you now have, except it's a single spool directional valve as opposed to the two spool valve your machine has now. If the machine is open center, then oil is flowing through the existing control valve and exiting the tank port of valve. Run hose from tank port to new directional valve and you now can operate another function. Keep in mind, the add on valve should have the same size ports (in/out) as the existing valve. If they are smaller, it could slow down your existing functions.

  4. #4lenray2011-12-29 22:47

    Thanks willie59 for the great info. I have two options it looks like. I have replaced the dirt bucket with a snow blade. Once the tilt function is set I can leave that alone--that cylinder--and switch over to the other hyd. cylinder that moves the snow plow from side to side--angle. What would be the easiest way to go for a guy who isn't the sharpest pencil in the packet. I am not afraid to invest the funds to make this work--just not real great mechanically. SINGLE SPOOL MONOBLOCK 4 WAY or DIVERTER VALVE

  5. #5willie592011-12-29 23:08

    In that application, forget about a diverter valve circuit, you won't be productive. You could either do it with an additional 4 way valve, if there's room to fit one in a suitable location, or, you could rig up an electric solenoid operated valve on the output lines of one of your functions, likely would use bucket tilt function, to switch between blade tilt or blade angle. This solenoid valve set up would work the same way as the diverter valve you described except it would simply require pushing a button to switch valve as opposed to manually operating a diverter valve.

  6. #6oldseabee2011-12-30 08:46

    If I remember, you have to add a "power beyond" sleeve to the return section of the first valve to prevent back feed from the second valve when using functions on both valves at the same time.

  7. #7willie592011-12-31 20:44

    Lenray, I took a pic of a Brand six way solenoid operated diverter valve that's mounted on a skidsteer rotary broom. When you operate the aux circuit on a skid, it sends oil to the diverter valve mounted on the rotary broom frame. When the solenoid is not selected by the operator, it operates the broom hyd motor. With a flip of a switch, solenoid gets powered and it diverts the oil to the hyd cylinder that angles the broom. Release switch and it switches back to motor on broom.

  8. #8John C.2012-01-01 14:44

    As I recall the Houghs used a Commercial Shearing or Husco control valve. I don't recall which one for sure. It was open center as all the pumps were positive displacement gear type. What I'd suggest is contacting a hydraulic shop as you will have to buy a valve no matter what anyway. They can probably walk you through what you need.