Hope everyone is doing well... Biz owner, trying to do a little mechanic work... I have 4 of these ball bearing roller bearings on my forklift, and one of them has crashed. It seems to be pressed on. Attached is a pic of one off of a different forklift, but exactly like I'm trying to change, other than the bad one has failed and lost it's bearings. I'm thinking something like a flywheel puller? Or something else? I do have a torch. And then how do I get the new ones on? Thanks for ANY tips. Steve Well, I thought I knew how to post a pic. Getting an Error message when I enter the URL.
torch off carefully and then press the new ones on, a big c clamp and punch may work well enough. You could try a 3 jaw puller
Yup, a 2 or 3 jaw puller, you can see in the pic where the shaft is indented for the center screw of the puller. and tap it on w/ a socket, being SURE to hit the CENTER portion of the new bearing.. Just find a socket that will JUST FIT over the shaft. try both metric and standard sockets for the snuggest fit.. Looks like an easy job..
We would blow her off with a torch a cut off wheel can be handy and less mess to get the outside off you could try cooking the new one in a pot of oil to expand it to go on a little easier of course smooth up the shaft remove rust ect
Yeah, don't tap on the seal area, just that center race, else you get to start over
Gas axe the bearing off BUT leave the inner race on the shaft and allow to cool. Then heat the race in a line across it no wider than the flame. It needs to as near white hot as you can get, then pour the coldest water you have on the heated area and listen for a faint ping. allow it to cool and remove the inner race. This method will not damage the shaft. :woohoo
Thanks for all your input... I'll report back in a few days...
I'll second Tones reply as it is junk anyway. I quit trying to remove baler bearings the proper way and now go for the gas axe. My preferred method for removing the inner races has become cutting through both sides with a air cutoff toll and then using chisel to split the halves.
double check for a small snap-ring , then just drive it off they are not on that tight unless it is rusted. be-careful not to loose the shims if any that are behind the bearing, spacing it in the channel of the lift. i have changed many of them on forklifts.