Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How to connect converted direct pull scraper to CatD8H ripper

Mustafa_Sabankaya ยท 2021-12-18 13:26

Does anyone out there know if it is possible to physically connect a CAT627B scraper (motor converted to direct pull) to any part of the ripper on my CAT D8H? I am getting rid if the front tractors on my two scrapers (with dead engines) and would like to pull behind my D8H. Thanks! Mustafa

Replies8
  1. #1Tinkerer2021-12-21 14:14

    Welcome to HEF, Mustafa ! Are you thinking of leaving the rear engines and transmissions for push power in them ?? I have only seen rear engines removed and the scraper was used in the normal way. I cannot imagine what you are proposing to do would work. Pulling a scraper with the ripper on a D8 sounds like a nightmare.

  2. #2Robert Pratt2021-12-23 10:56
  3. #3Robert Pratt2021-12-23 10:58

    I can't see why you couldnt hook to a ripper.

  4. #4Tinkerer2021-12-25 15:41

    It seems to me it would be quite a strain on the final drives of the dozer. The geometry would be a lot different from pulling it in the normal way with a drawbar. IMHO. It would be an owners worse nightmare if a loaded scraper mounted onto a ripper were to get stuck in a fill area or shizzy cut area. I spent a fair amount of time pulling pans with D8s.

  5. #5Shimmy12021-12-25 16:57

    I'm not sure the ripper would be able to hold up a fully loaded pan first of all. Second, the change in leverage by the hook point being considerably farther back would put a crazy amount of strain on the final drives.

  6. #6hosspuller2021-12-25 18:50

    Can the tractors be converted into a dolly for the scraper? Scrap the engine and create a tow bar. The dozers final drives wouldn't see the scraper load. Or trade for a CAT High Drive machine...

  7. #7hosspuller2021-12-25 22:57

    Check this thread .. HeavyEquipmentForums

  8. #8R.D.G0132022-11-28 04:38

    Nice load, probably took 1/2 an hr to get out , LOL.