Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How to get Hired; maybe over qualified in some areas under in others (masters degree)

Jake L ยท 2007-05-03 11:48

Hey everyone, I've read posts on this forum forever but finally registered because I'm running out of time on this. First off I am 23 years old living in upstate New York. I'm at school for another month and then graduating with a Masters Degree in Architecture and Returning home to Syracuse. Long story short I don't think I'm interested in going to work as an architect right now,and I'd like to run an excavator. for details read on: Now before anyone says anything about paying that much, and putting that much time towards a degree I won't use, I go to a state school for which I have an assistanceship that has been paying my tuition (for my diligent work as an employee of the school). I do plan on getting registered as an architect eventually. That may be years down the line though. I'm probably over qualified as far as higher education goes but I also have more grounded experience. Landscape foreman experience with a Case 580, Landscape tractors, Hydro drive mowers and skid steers. Also have a good amount of leadership experience, led a habitat for humanity group, foreman for other projects. And finally, can obviously read, understand fully (and make for that matter) drawings. I was thinking of going with construction management but after talking with some friends I realize I should just do what I really want to do (and always have) which is become an operator. So what are my chances? I know only in my dreams an owner is going to put me right in the seat. That said, I have also put in time as a laborer before I was promoted to foreman in previous jobs so I know how that goes, and I don't know I will feel running the pine excavator for that long before getting promoted. Thanks All!

Replies9
  1. #1jmac2007-05-03 12:07

    If you can find a small excavating company that needs a key man this would be a good start. My company is very small and my perfect employee would be a guy that could do the following: 1) cdl to drive truck when needed, move equipment around 2) Operate dozer, excavator or skid 3) Labor, shovel work etc. 4) Read plans and possible help with quoting 5) Plow snow in the winter 6) Do maintenance on equipment, oil changes, grease etc. 7) Be able to leave on a job and know he was watching the other workers and still helping out. With a smaller company your opportunity to do it all is much greater. Also you would be needed as an operator because the smaller size.

  2. #2surfer-joe2007-05-03 12:24

    How to get Hired Welcome to the site first off. If you don't mind a little more schooling, and the employment picture for construction is fairly good in your area, check with the Operating Engineers; Local 545, Hoisting & Portable/Building Trades Address: 127 East Glen Avenue Syracuse, NY 13205 Phone: 315-492-1752 If they are not quite the correct local, they can surely direct you to the right office. Point is, the Operators have training programs and if they have room, can likely get you into an apprenticeship plan and start you out at the training grounds in an excavator. Yep, you will have to join, and that isn't always very easy in areas that don't have much work. But hey, checking it out won't hurt. If you have the ability to travel, there are locals that are looking for operators now, 428 in Phoenix is one of them, as is Local 3 in California, not sure about 12. 3 has an excellent training school and are among the best people I've ever met in a union. There are private operator training schools. I attended one in the early sixties in North Carolina. Some are very good, some are, well, not so good. Be careful if you elect this route and make sure the school does class work and lots of seat time in a modern machine. It's very unlikely that an employer would just pick you up out of the blue and train you. But you might get hired on for other work with the understanding that they will train you when they have the opportunity. Again, be careful about a kiss and a promise deal like that. If you are so inclined, you might check into the military services. Right now, the Army needs people badly, but I'm not so sure about the Engineers. If you could enlist and get assigned to an engineering battalion, they might provide you with equipment training before hand. The Navy Seabees are an even better choice (I'm prejudiced). Marines and Air Force also have engineers, don't know much about them however. If you go this way, make double certain sure that all your enlistment paperwork directs you immediately to the engineering people and not some ground-pounder outfit. I know too many people that got screwed out of their desired assignments because the paperwork wasn't bullet proof. Ah yah! Don't forget, there is usually a four year active-duty enlistment requirement with this, but again, what the hey, you might like that sort of life. Many do. Digging in the dirt is a lot of fun. Boys with big toys you know. But it can also be a real grind. Cold, heat, dust and dirt. Mouthy foremen, crude fellow workers, etc. But you know that from your previous experience. Give it a try and what you really want to do will come to you. Good Luck!

  3. #3SunServicesLLC2007-05-03 14:20

    id hire you in a second want to live in the wash dc area?

  4. #4Electra_Glide2007-05-03 16:27

    Hey jmac, I can do all that...my dozer skills probably need a little work though. What's the job pay, and when can I start? :wink2 Joe

  5. #5Countryboy2007-05-03 19:43

    Welcome to HEF Jake L! :drinkup

  6. #6jmac2007-05-04 11:45

    Hey Electra, the pay is better in the summer than the winter! I am paying a typical guy now around $15 pr hour but everyone so far fell short on one of my 7 attributes. As my business grows I would like to pay a guy a salary year round to help grow the business. Possibly some sort of profit sharing etc.The problem I have found is when I hire an "operator" he doesn't want to get out of the machine. When I hire a laborer he can't run the machine or drive the truck. A lot of the time I have hand work to do and no machine work and then other days it is all machine.

  7. #7surfer-joe2007-05-04 12:25

    Attended the local union meeting last night, it was about like the last one in Colorado I attended in 1981. American democracy in action. However, they tell us that we need Grade Checkers, Fine-Grade Blade hands, and Crawler Crane Operators, preferably already certified. One chap reports a pressing need for a CCO with friction clutch experience and skill. Oh yes, with a familiarity with concrete work. These are all highly paid positions, for this area. Almost immediate dispatch, and work is picking up with several long term jobs just starting. Check with Local 428 at 602 254 5266. Ask for Sandy. Nice lady.

  8. #8treemuncher2007-12-06 19:00

    Jake, Whatever you decide to do in life for work, make sure you enjoy it. That way your job is a career and not just a job. I graduated with a b.s. in engineering and sitting behind a desk sucked. One way or another, I wound up with a small dozer and a dump truck and got started from there. I still use my education every day. It has helped me to work more efficiently and to always think 3 steps ahead. Your education is not a waste no matter what field you persue after school. Life is short and you can't take the money with you - use your time wisely to build smiles when possible. I still think about returning to engineering but I don't think I could make as much money or have as much job satisfaction. If you are a natural on a machine, it will show and you will learn faster than anyone else. Any boss that gives you the opportunity will see it if you have it and want to keep you on. Lots of potential employers missed their opportunity with me. No one gave me a chance. Even my father tried to discourage it at first. All for the best, now. If it is what you want, work for it and you will get it. If you're in the south sometime, drop a pm.

  9. #9Turbo218352007-12-07 12:15

    Being an architect student you should know how to draw on an autocad program correct? If so you have some options. Many larger companies have engineering departments. You could look into a company like that. Explain to them you would like to eventually work in that part of their operation. But you want to start out at the bottom and work your way up. Tell them it will make you better for that job. It will help you find problems while the project is in the design phase and that in turn will save them money in the long run.