Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How to move JLG lift with seized wheel

colson04 · 2021-04-06 13:22

Well, I need some help. My JLG 45HA 2WD is stuck in a customer's driveway. I loaded lift from job at at 10am. Machine drove fine, no issues loading up. On my way home, I stopped at customer B's house for a quick 30 minute job. Unloaded, drove to site, performed work, drove back to trailer. My drive wheels just hit the bottom of the ramp when it stopped with a jolt and would not go any farther forward. I tried backing up, I moved about a foot and I noticed the right drive wheel lock up. I drove forward, it rolled free and then locked up again after a foot. I proceeded to flip the center cap, driving the pin inwards, felt machine release like it wasn't connected and tried to drive again, still no drive. Used customers truck to drag machine completely off the trailer. 3 wheels roll free, 4th won't turn. I left to go get tools and bobcat to help push machine onto trailer. What do you think I need to release on that wheel so it can roll? What might be causing it to bind/hang up?? Once its free I should be able to push the machine onto the trailer to get it home. for further investigation. Any ideas or insight greatly appreciated. I'll update with pictures as I get things apart.

Replies16
  1. #1Delmer2021-04-06 14:52

    hydraulic released brakes? planetary disintigrated? hydraulic motor locked up? I'd try to pull the planetary apart to see what's locked up there. Depending on what you can see, either pull the motor off, or use sand or pea gravel or mud to let it slip onto the trailer and take it apart at home.

  2. #2skyking12021-04-06 15:09

    Delmer had it covered. It may move if you pull the motor, or it may be a case of busted up planetaries. All it takes is one little chunk of metal in the right spot to stop you on a planetary.

  3. #3colson042021-04-06 18:54

    Busted planetary: Got it loaded: It's home. Now I need to source some parts for it.

  4. #4skyking12021-04-06 20:00

    Don't want to "like" your post there, but glad you got it home OK.

  5. #5lantraxco2021-04-07 01:19

    Torque hub or Auburn?

  6. #6colson042021-04-07 06:58

    I don't know what Auburn is. This is my first machine with planetary hubs so I don't know much about them yet.

  7. #7colson042021-04-07 14:39

    Torque Hub

  8. #8Vetech632021-04-07 16:57

    Well get that girl jacked up, wheel off, and the planet cover removed and let’s see what we have to work with!

  9. #9lantraxco2021-04-08 22:40

    Torque Hub is Fairfield, which I believe this week is part of Dana. Can't keep up with the mergers and acquisitions.

  10. #10colson042021-04-09 07:22

    I started scratching some of the paint off the id tag on the torque hub. Do any of these numbers mean anything to you guys? So far I found 1 busted tooth on a cluster gear. Sun gear is fine, ring gear shows 2 or 3 teeth dinged from when the cluster gear chipped out. I'll get pictures later today of the components. My father in law (auto mechanic/ag repair background) suggested cleaning up sharp edges of the broken tooth and putting it back together as is until replacement parts or replacement torque hub is available. As much as I want this thing moving again, I don't know that I want to risk destroying the other parts inside if that cluster gear grenades completely. I'm not losing any money by this machine sitting for a bit as its back in my yard now.

  11. #11colson042021-04-09 07:48

    I got digging through the JLG parts manual for my machine and it shows JLG Part# 2680169 for a complete drive hub assembly. There's one for sale on eBay for $1200. Searching for the cluster gear and ring gear show then to be $280 and $510, so $790 plus shipping. Would you guys, or have you guys, just replaced a ring gear or cluster gear in this situation, or would buying a complete drive hub make more sense?

  12. #12Delmer2021-04-09 10:07

    I'll take the cluster gear for $280 Alex.

  13. #13skyking12021-04-09 10:29

    my tendency is to fix what's broken. Look over the other gears closely and probably do what @Delmer said

  14. #14lantraxco2021-04-09 11:45

    https://www.grazianofairfield.com/ecomaXL/files/W1BF_NV_Jan2019_PDF.pdf?download=1 Here's an interesting note, something I did not know and probably would have missed: http://www.plainviewfarms.com/parts/Hub/time.htm

  15. #15colson042021-04-09 13:33

    Great info on the W1FB series torque hub. Thank you for sharing that. My JLG service manual does have this timing procedure called out, and I found a couple other places on the web that mentioned it as well. I didn't know about it Tuesday when I pulled the cover off the final in the customers driveway. I pulled the guts out, removed the broken bits and tried to put it back together, not knowing it had to be timed. I could not get the sun and ring gear to mesh at the same time. I finally said to heck with this, left the carrier and sun gear out and put the cap back on it so I could winch it back up on the trailer. I should have read a bit more before jumping into it.

  16. #16colson042021-05-06 20:51

    Well, pictures didn't happen. Once I got into working on it, I didn't stop until it was back together. So one cluster gear lost half of one tooth. The ring gear also had one tooth that was damaged, but only lost a quarter of a tooth. I disassembled the torque hub, cleaned and inspected everything thoroughly and put it back together. Will it run a day or 10 years? I don't know, but we're going to run it for now. At this point, I have found sources for new and used parts. I also know I am capable of loading a dead machine if it comes to that and hauling it home and safely off loading it as well. If it dies in the middle of a job, I'm certainly able to haul it away on my own, and rent a simar unit to finish my job. Not my preferred way to handle this, but cashflow is tight. If this machine dies again, it can sit until I do have the cash for a proper repair.