Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How to move non running d5g

Ryan6585 · 2026-04-07 19:34

Bought a new d5g that doesn’t run, I know on old dozers you pull the axle shafts. How would you move this one?

Replies16
  1. #1pittsburgh cat man2026-04-07 19:47

    Same deal just be careful it will free wheel

  2. #2Ryan65852026-04-07 19:51

    The guy said he pulled the axle shafts, just didn’t want to mess it up has less than an hour on it

  3. #3pittsburgh cat man2026-04-07 19:57

    Less than a hour I would be calling dealer for warranty!!!

  4. #4pittsburgh cat man2026-04-07 20:01

    It won’t mess anything up your disconnect from everything by the way is this a flood machine

  5. #5Ryan65852026-04-07 20:02

    It’s actually running, I don’t want to run it anymore until I change all fluids

  6. #6Ryan65852026-04-07 20:03

    Yes it was flooded

  7. #7Ryan65852026-04-08 09:33

    So what you’re saying is he didn’t have to remove the axles? Do I need need to turn off any parking brake or anything?

  8. #8Nige2026-04-08 09:46

    So the engine runs.? What exactly do you want to do with the tractor when you say you want to “move it”.?

  9. #9Ryan65852026-04-08 09:53

    It runs but I’m not starting it to load it, I want to change all the fluids first. I’m going to pull it on a lowboy.

  10. #10hseII2026-04-08 09:59

    It’s been like that for 20+ years. I would wager it is not in running condition.

  11. #11Nige2026-04-08 10:00

    If the engine runs then move the parking brake switch to the off position. The machine should roll, but as it’s been sat for years it might be somewhat difficult to move.

  12. #12Mr. Wrench2026-04-08 18:18

    It sounds like you bought the flooded CAT D5G. That's great, I've never worked on a machine that was in that situation. Please keep us updated on what you find good or bad.

  13. #13greasynails2026-04-11 19:12

    If you already ran it then you already ran it. turn the park brake off and drive it on the trailer. The charge pump already circulated whatever oil was in it into the drive loop. And I'm curious how this turns out for you. My guess is you win big or loose big on this. Probably not much in between.

  14. #14Joe H2026-04-11 19:27

    Sounds like a story I missed the beginning of? Joe H

  15. #15greasynails2026-04-11 19:34

    HeavyEquipmentForums

  16. #16Joe H2026-04-11 19:41

    Thanks, another time waster ahead. Joe H