Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How to prevent cylinders from rusting over winter?

Buickspec6231 ยท 2013-11-02 13:58

Hey guys. I know this is a very basic question, but I am getting ready to put away the ** backhoe for the year. What does everyone put on the exposed portions of the hydraulic cylinders to prevent them for corroding and rusting? Is regular old chassis grease and wheel bearing grease safe to use? Is there a dry spray that won't collect dirt and any other grit that is an alternative? Once ground freezes, I wont be using the backhoe until probably April, so there will be 4+ months the backhoe will likely be setting still. Thanks, Dan

Replies7
  1. #1JDOFMEMI2013-11-02 16:21

    Unless the chrome is chipped or pitted, the cylinder rods will be fine, IMHO. If they are damaged, then a light coat of grease should do it. There may be an option of some spray on protector, but I do not know.

  2. #2mitch5042013-11-02 18:05

    I agree, if the chrome is good, no worries. If the chrome is dinged, Cat makes stuff in a spray can that works good, I use it around salt water, but grease is cheaper. WD-40 has a rust preventative in their new "specialist" line, never tried it. The penetrant works great.

  3. #3wilko2013-11-02 21:56

    Ballistol. It works as a rust preventative, lubricant, cleaner, leather conditioner, wood preservative, first aid treatment and, according to some people, makes a good dessert topping. I have doubts about the last part.

  4. #4KWD2013-11-02 23:47

    oily keroesene,diesel rags wrapped around

  5. #5powerjoke2013-11-03 00:56

    Go to john deere and get some FLUID FILM seriously it's the best **** EVER ! Check it out http://www.fluid-film.com/products/ We use it a lot in the snow and ice industry, salt won't even attack anything this stuff is sprayed on and it's 100% natural dano50 could be a member here I'm not sure but he's a sales rep Edit; if dano is a member here (seems like he's on every forum I've ever seen lol) I think he used to give you your first can because he knew u would be back to buy more some of the S&I guys will be along shortly to back me up on this lol Pj

  6. #6ol' Grump2013-11-03 08:15

    I agree, Fluid Film is some good stuff. I've used Pam as a rust preventative on dozer and grader blades but I experimented with various other things as well. Two stroke oil mixed 50-50 with white gas (Coleman fuel) seems to do almost as well when sprayed on as a rust preventer as just about anything else I've found. Also works well as "loose juice", much better than WD 40 and almost as well as Fluid Film plus it's cheaper.

  7. #7Buickspec62312013-11-03 09:19

    Chrome on the cylinders is top notch, I just want to try to keep it that way. I see that there are as many options as I could think up myself. I'm not sure which option I will end up using just quite yet. Thanks for the replies. Always looking for new ideas.