I need to take the left blade angle cylinder off to have seals rebuilt. The pin going thru the cylinder at the main frame only comes out one way. The center of this pin is not threaded to be able to use a puller or anything on it. The odd thing is, ive taken the right side angle cylinder off before and the same pin on that side IS threaded and i was able to pull it fairly easily. Im not a mechanic by no means, maybe im missing something simple here. Any help would be appreciated thanks. serial #BMA23483
That's the engine. The tractor is ALY01689 just for your future reference. At a guess I would say that the pin has been removed before and either someone has installed it backwards with the thread on the inside, or it could be an aftermarket pin that doesn't have a thread. You may likely have to resort to welding something on to the outside in order to pull it out. That's not going to be easy considering the location.
ok thanks Nige i didnt think the serial number sounded right so il keep that in mind! I never thought about someone putting it in backwards, that would make sense. Would i be able to drill it out and try to tap some new threads in for a bolt to pull on or should i get the welder out? Thanks a bunch for the response right away
I think that the pin is likely to be case-hardened. If that is that case a drill bit won’t go near it. You could try I suppose but I think at the end of the day you’ll be getting the welding machine out.
Ok thanks again Nige!
Leave the cylinder on machine just pull the rod. I did mine, much easier.
Welded a nut on and got it out, threads were on the inside go figure. Theres two more seeping cylinders to pull off that im going to take to a shop to have rebuilt. Ive never done one myself, guess i should figure out how to do it one of these days
Glad you got it apart. Obviously someone screwed up before and put the pin in the wrong way round. Who knows, it could have been Cat when they built it.? Finding the tooling to remove & install the big nut on the end of the rod can make it worthwhile taking it to a hydraulic shop rather than risk all the aggravation.