Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How to R&R master brake cyl. from older JCB 1400B backhoe –instrument housing creates tight space

siltcoos ยท 2022-06-08 19:55

I have a later 1980s JCB 1400B backhoe....w/ master cyl failure. How to best R&R the cyl.? The instrument housing hides the cyl. and its difficult to get access..... And what part # works....15/107500 or 15/106100 ? Thks...!

Replies12
  1. #1Tinkerer2022-06-09 07:28

    Welcome to HEF, siltcoos ! It is a nasty job on a JCB. You can determine which assembly you need after you get it removed. I think this is the correct procedure in the picture.

  2. #2siltcoos2022-06-09 10:23

    Tinkerer...many thks for your time--I didnt see any 'pictures'...if those were sent? And the housing info will be helpful if I cant reach the 2 cyls. sufficiently // If at all possible I wanted to avoid removing the housing (the difficulty in removing the S. wheel and all related controls is huge.) I have a sense your info source is from a different model....my machine is M322185 -- For example, re your item (2): in fact there is no exterior access to any part near the mas. cyls: its all within the control 'housing'... But, I'll finish my coffee and go out and reck. things !! Many thks again !

  3. #3Tinkerer2022-06-09 10:37

    Your device or computer is blocking the image. It is plainly visible on my pc. I saved that page as a .jpeg file which is a picture. I was worried that the service manual I have isn't for your particular machine. That is why it is best to post the tractor serial number in an opening post seeking help. You should purchase a service manual. It will save you countless hours and frustration.

  4. #4siltcoos2022-06-09 11:39
  5. #5siltcoos2022-06-09 11:44

    Tinkerer: thks again---and I have a full service and full parts manual in addition to the general operation manual (over $1000 in manuals)....they do not provide the info....and the pictures dont necessarily reflect the reality.... For example, the service manual has no page on R&R for the master cyls.......(manual #9803/3250)....alas

  6. #6Tinkerer2022-06-09 11:56

    That is a shame that anyone would spend that much money and not get the info you need. The page I posted is the R&R for a different year than you have.

  7. #7siltcoos2022-06-09 12:19

    Tinkerer: to clarify my remark re "picture"...I do have an image of the 'page' of the manual that you sent....If that's the 'picture' you meant. I thought you were sending an image of some part etc.... Sorry for my confusion.

  8. #8Tinkerer2022-06-09 14:22

    No problem. I try to post images of service manual pages so that other members seeking help can see them.

  9. #9siltcoos2022-06-09 21:07

    And (and !) a friend came over and we solved the "frozen" master brake cyl issue: He "stomped" on the frozen peddle....then we did a long, repetive "bleeding"....(after disconnecting a mid-line joint...to start the bleeding with that joint open).....and after an hour of 'bleeding"....we have a brake.... So is the moral "Stomp on It" ....I dont know....but it was interesting.... Thanks for your observations and thoughts....

  10. #10casey5182022-06-20 20:28

    When I replaced mine I also replaced the first section of brake line that runs to the floor.. it was rusted though.. watch for that cause if it fails the console has to come back out.

  11. #11siltcoos2022-06-20 23:22

    Caey 518 : neat info....And that does looks much like a JCB 1400 with the plastic console removed....Would that be correct?

  12. #12casey5182022-06-21 09:42

    Yea it's a 3cx but all that's the same.