Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

how to remove support and pilot on cat 953 track assembly

wayman ยท 2019-04-23 10:20

I have removed four bolts from the back and two in the front and have inserted the four bolts to remove the support but it isn't budging. Any suggestions.

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2019-04-23 11:22

    1st suggestion would be to supply a Serial Number. 2nd would be post a photo showing what you are trying to remove, because your explanation is not clear. Are you by any chance trying to remove the track tensioner and recoil mechanism..?

  2. #2wayman2019-04-23 11:54

    78y01195

  3. #3wayman2019-04-23 12:03

    trying to remove the equalizer bar support and pilot

  4. #4wayman2019-04-23 12:18

    I have already removed the front idler and rod extension and now am trying to remove the support that the rod goes through

  5. #5Nige2019-04-23 12:27

    Now I get it. See the attachment for removal of the equalizer bar end support. If forcing screws won't get it maybe a little heat might be called for. More than likely the last person in there forgot to use anti-seize between the support and the track frame. I've seen a combination of heating the track frame and then hitting the inside of the bushing with a CO2 fire extinguisher to shrink it rapidly work also.

  6. #6wayman2019-04-23 14:59

    ok, thank you, I will give that a try and will let you know the outcome.

  7. #7wayman2019-04-25 17:10

    update - 2 days later and with the help of a rose bud, 3/4 inch break over, 6 ft. cheater pipe, 10 ton porta-power hydraulic pump, 3 lb. sledge hammer and 3f ft. long 3/4 inch solid steel bar and it finally give up. Oh also lots of w d 40 and lots of patience. lol Hope this will help someone else. Thanks

  8. #8Nige2019-04-25 17:37

    Always good to hear a success story.