I have a Galion 503L grader that the hydraulic pump is driven by a shaft with spline. The pump has male splines and the shaft has female.I cant find find the shaft new or a complete new pump.Any ideas or method would be appreciated.
Not an easy task, some pics would help. Depending on how bad it is my initial thoughts would be to build the splines up with TIG or maybe cut the end off and weld on another spline section if you find one that matches.
a little info about the pump may help. Look at surplus center . com for new pumps at a reasonable price.
The only satisfactory method of rebuilding splines is to machine off all the existing worn splines - rebuild to new spline OD with a low-alloy, high-tensile-strength weld material - then cut new splines in the weld material. With this technique, there's always a risk of the pump shaft shearing at the end of the welded material, if the pump shaft is subjected to high loads and stresses - due to weld stresses. It's also quite a costly repair method, and one I would only use as a last resort. There's plenty of surplus new hyd pumps available for very reasonable prices. As carogator says, some pump info would be good. Most hyd pumps are built by common pump manufacturers, such as Hydreco, Cross, Vickers, etc - but it's also possible, the major problem is that your pump is obsolete and NLA. In this case, you can often find a replacement pump that uses a similar SAE spline number and dimensions, and just modify the mounting setup if needed. The only company that does not use standard SAE splines is Caterpillar.
I had the same problem on a different machine. The hydraulics shop had a female coupler section with the same splines, but I ended up cutting off the female splines, adding a short section to the shaft, and reversing the female splined part so that the remaining good splines mated up with the remaining good splines on the pump. good as new, or at least, not any worse than the rest of the tractor.
The pump has 11 splines.I cant find any kind of writing or numbers on pump.Does anyone on here have info on who would have manufactured pumps for Galion equipment?
Post 2 or 3 photos of the pump, we may be able to ID it.
The 11 spline pump drive is pretty common, Like everyone else is saying, pictures would be good, I have seen several different brands through the years, Barnes, Hydreco and Cessna being the most common, in that order.
lj98, You didn't say anything about your grader. Is this something you use to make a living with or is it just used to tune up your driveway a couple times a year? If it's the latter and if there is anything left of the splines at all you might consider just cleaning everything really good, mixing up some Devcon epoxy putty or equivalent, and gluing the two together. It's not a very good solution, but it might buy you more time than you think. I wouldn't recommend this if you depend on the machine. If not, you might have nothing to lose by giving it a try.
I found a new pump.Thanks for all the ideas and help.