Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How to replace drive chains on a bobcat skid steer loader?

pzimmrman ยท 2017-02-25 09:33

Greetings. Few days ago, I've bought a used bobcat 520 skid steer loader, which it self is not in a rather more decent shape. Thankfully, the engine and the hydraulics function properly, so that's not really on my concerns at the moment. one of my main concerns is that, as how I've seen it while we were unloading it, it couldn't steer. So we had to get couple of men to pull it so we can properly park it into the workshop. Thankfully, we did get brand new drive chains for it as well as having the tools we need for restoring it to make it look and function like it came straight from the factory, though right now we are mostly focusing on replacing the drive chains. Cutting back to the main question, we would like to know how to replace these chains. (with images, if possible)

Replies8
  1. #1spitzair2017-02-28 20:27

    I've never dealt with a 520 but it can't be that much different than the 30 or 40 series machines. I'm pretty sure you'll need to take the hydraulic/hydrostatic pumps out to do the back chains, they are accessed through a cover underneath the pump. You might be able to do the front ones without taking the pump out but never having done it myself I'm only speculating. Willie59 and/or Crewchief888 will be the guys to help you here, hopefully they'll be along soon.

  2. #2farmboy5552017-03-08 12:36

    I've replaced a broken one in a 853, I went in thru the top and worked the new chain in and used a master link to connect the ends

  3. #3Vetech632017-03-15 08:01

    Not sure if the 520 is set up like the 30 and 40 series. On those, if you broke a drive chain, it usually waded up behind a drive axle sprocket and wedged in like a mofo! LOL There is access plates on top of the chain case, in front and under the drive pump but the access is horrible. I usually blocked the machine up and dropped the entire chain case to do chain replacement. You can roll them in as explained above , providing the chain isn't wedged.

  4. #4Ciggie2020-01-06 20:49

    Hi guys I have a skipping sound on my rear wheel like the chin is skipping. It's fine when i drive backwards, any ideas on what i need to do??

  5. #5Welder Dave2020-01-06 22:59

    Start your own thread in the skid steer forum and list what machine you have would be a start.

  6. #6Ronsii2020-01-06 23:42

    The more you drive it the more your chances are to destroy the sprockets!!!

  7. #7farmboy5552020-01-07 06:15

    When the chain breaks. It will probably ball up between the case and sprocket and lock the wheel up Be money ahead if you go ahead and find the problem

  8. #8ESDE2020-01-07 21:56

    careful, the sprocket edges can be sharp as razors. I didn't even know I was bleeding..