I need to replace a track adjusting rod in a 953 05Z. The track was tightened the day before by a laborer and I jumped on it the next day to load a truck and noticed it pulling heavily to the right. I was running in sand so it was packing the tracks even tighter. I relieved the tension on the track, but after I did I noticed that the track adjusting rod was bent and I know it wasn't the day before. I tried to bend it back straight by using a backhoe, but I wound up breaking it. Now I need to put in a new rod. I've got the track broken in two. Looks like I can just weld an eye bolt onto the snapped off rod and pull it out and put in a new rod but I wanted to see if anyone had done one of these before. I've searched all on here and googled it, but cannot find the procedure. The tracks are not worn out. I know that these had trouble with the supports cracking and causing the rod to bend, but this one I believe is from over tensioning the tracks.
Yes you can Don, BUT the plot might thicken. Get the machine inside for big work if needed. I suspect the bottom of the track frame might be broken and the spring packed with dirt and unable to move(OVERTENSIONING). Make sure the spring will compress before putting it back to work. Been there done that so ask if you need more help. Later Bob
I'm ahead of you Bob on getting it inside, but only because it's not supposed to get above freezing for the next couple of days with a big north wind. BTW, one thing I forgot to mention was that when the rod bent it made the yoke drag on the center of the idler and that's what was making it pull to the right when it happened. The rod bent down toward the track frame. I'll have to check that recoil spring for packed dirt...I'll post the results.
Take the cover off the top and look in by the adjuster. I only had to do one like that and it was mean. Took frame off, removed the idler, equilizer end bearing and the spring pilot. Then pogged with a crowbar and washed with a water cannon many many times before the spring could be pried out. The bottom of the spring cavity was broken and let the cavity fill with mud that hardened. Later Bob
The front idler mountings could need re-positioning to the forward bolt location, this often is the cause of the rod damage, look in the opp's manual it explains this adjustment clearly. tctractors
I got the broken piece out of the support today. I looked to see if the recoil spring was packed with dirt, but it wasn't. I need to get the pin out of the yoke end to get the rest of it out and go back with the new.
Good, an air hammer should move the pin. When you get the rod in and hooked up, adjust the track then put a block of wood in the sprocket and pull the idler back to make sure the spring will collapse before going to work. Later Bob
Before you get into damage zone check the idle mounting position, this detaile is the usual cause of shaft -pin failing. tctractors