Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How to set the throttle while digging?

emmett518 · 2021-04-16 07:06

On the dash of my backhoe, I can set the engine throttle. I know that you have to up the RPMs to get enough hydraulic fluid pumping to run the backhoe arm. Any suggestions on how to set this? Thanks

Replies9
  1. #1JBrady2021-04-16 09:20

    Start slow. Even at idle, a full size TLB will have plenty of power to do most digging, the movements just won't be fast. As you get more confident in your movements, you can increase the RPMs. It is better to be in control than be fast. If your engine speed is so high that you are overshooting and, in general, just jerky, slow your RPMs down. I don't operate a backhoe for a living and just use mine around the ranch for various projects. When I am digging, I am probably running about half throttle.

  2. #2csthompson122021-04-16 09:42

    On mine, there is a green range on the rpm gauge from 1500 to 2000... I often don’t run it that fast.

  3. #3cosmaar12021-04-17 12:21

    AFTER GETTING THE MACHINE WARM, I usually set my 555e digging/stump removal RPMs around 1800. This isn’t putting the max to the motor yet gives me nice fluid movements.

  4. #4skyking12021-04-17 12:42

    When doing production work I'm usually BTW. Since I'm always doing production work I'm always throttle up pretty hard. I leave it there for all operations for a couple of reasons. Number one, I have all the power I'm going to have for lifting structures and the like I don't have to make any adjustments. Number two, the machine behaves predictably. I'm not saying cob bit all the time, take your time getting used to your hoe. Then do what seems natural.

  5. #5AzIron2021-04-17 23:31

    I typically run between 16 and 2000 just depends what I am doing digging commercial footings gets me wound up to 2000 plumbing usually under 1800 unless I am digging deeper I almost never firewall a machine there is just no need to push that hard and eat that much more fuel

  6. #6aighead2021-04-19 07:33

    Yup, I'm usually at 2k plus or minus 150 or so. I can appreciate what @JBrady says about starting slow, but I've found my machine is more predictable at a higher rpm, I just learned to move the sticks slower. That can be a bit aggravating when helping others though, because most people expect moves to happen relatively quickly and normally when I'm doing some things I tend to move the hoe side very slowly and there gets to be an efficiency to it once you get used to the movements, slow but very precise.

  7. #7JBrady2021-04-19 09:25

    I was cleaning ditches yesterday and thought about this thread so I took notice of what I was running. I was in a pretty good rhythm around 1800 rpms. FWIW - the tach on my Case 590SL is in the "green" range from 0-2000rpms. Also, for Case backhoes with the secret handshake to lock the boom, I slow down to around 1200-1400 rpms. I've found that any slower, I can't quite get the boom over center and any faster is just rough.

  8. #8NH575E2021-04-19 09:34

    I think it will be machine and operator preference. My NH is just too jerky over 1800 RPMs. A seasoned operator might develop a light enough touch to run it faster but that ain't me. I usually operate around 1500 to have good power and slow down the response a little.

  9. #9cuttin edge2021-04-19 09:51

    I think it's an experience thing. I notice young lads do everything wide open. Swing the seat around and push the throttle to the max. The more experienced guys set their RPMs according to what they are doing. A fella retired a couple years ago. Awesome operator. He moved slow, but every move counts. Could dig out an entire asphalt parking lot, and the only gravel he took was what stuck to the bottom of the old asphalt. He was as good on a back hoe as he was on an excavator. You could tell when he had been on the back hoe because he always preferred to use the back hoe pattern when he was on it, even though he ran the excavator as it was. Never saw him run the engine much over 12 or 14. Even my Mauldin grader. It has a set throttle, and I only run it up to max when it is hard pushing, or when I am loading a tandem truck. Full bucket won't quite lift to the max height at lower revs.