Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

how to tie down excavator

eianewb · 2009-08-15 23:13

so i am still new to all this. i loaded my excavator on my trailer for the first time the other day and couldnt figure out a real good way to chain it down. i have seen binders go right from the trailer to a pad, but i am a lil leary of that as you would only have the pad bolts holding everything, but i cant make a straight shot from the holes in the carbody to the D rings. i have also saw (on a mini ex) the chains running thru the tracks, between the frame and the track, and straight down to the D rings, but my tracks overhang the trailer by 4" on each side so i dont think that would work for me. just wondering what you all do, and if you had any pics it would be great, so i am not confused like you prolly are now after reading my descriptions, lol. thanks

Replies27
  1. #1eianewb2009-08-18 20:07

    thanks for all the help guys, lol altho i guess if i would a read down a few more posts i coulda answered some of my own questions. ointhead

  2. #2tonka2009-08-18 23:47

    1st question i got is how big id your excavator.... oh and you don't tie it down you chain it down..... and here's how i'd do it, not backed up on the neck of the jeep, but the tracks on your deck, and the binder and chains this way

  3. #3handtpipeline2009-08-19 01:21

    I don't have any close-up pics of it, but we've done it this way for as long as I can remember. The only piece of equipment I don't cross chain is backhoes usually. If I'm just going a few miles, sometimes i'll go from the inside of the track to the trailer on the dozers, but if I already have the chains out, i'll cross chain even then. We've been stopped by DOT with them both ways, and never had the method of securement questioned.

  4. #4OCR2009-08-19 01:55

    how to tie down excavator: Same way... excavator. ​ Same method for dozer, too. Never had a problem. OCR

  5. #5Oversizeload2009-08-19 20:04

    Do you have the 345 over the jeep the get the height down or get more weight towards the tractor and jeep? I think it the later cause the cab of the excavator has to pretty high the way its sitting.

  6. #6-NICK-2009-09-25 22:50

    Hey Tonka I got a trailer just like that I saw a guy have an excavator slide off the other day.What ever you do make sure you are even on both sides,and maybe A couple extra chains just in case.trust me It got my attention.

  7. #7-NICK-2009-09-25 22:54

    Its to get the weight towards the jeep and tractor.Otherwise you overweigh the trailer axles.The way it is with the stack taken off its just under14'.

  8. #8theother7axle2009-09-30 01:23

    tonka has it right.though california laws are messing with us recently!they(DOT) want half the machines weight in chains/binders holding the machine down.other than that BS ,5 binders will do for most excavators.chaining from the tracks seems universal.

  9. #9KAC10232009-09-30 21:46

    I just came across this site by searching the name of the crane Co with the flipped crane through the concrete deck in Australia. I drive a low deck in the Bx., for the smaller Excavators (PC138's and 75's we have) I go through the tracks, up through the foot steps on the side. I then use a ratchet between the tracks under the cab to take up slack. it sucks cause you get dirty, under the cab and your in a awkward position when you do it. As far as bigger machines with overhang I go from the track directly to the lip on the side of the deck for all four corners and then toss one across the bucket.

  10. #10powerjoke2009-10-01 08:54

    Dont have any pics of my bigger machines boomed down but, in MO the track's are NOT considered an integral part of the frame and DOES NOT count at all! so, we have to chain to upper and lower with at least 50% of machine weight in working load of chain. and on any digging machine there has to be at least one chain and boomer on the hydraulic shovel part of any machine (but not dozer's) oh' and if a chain doesn't have a boomer on it, it does not count at all. So no more throwing a chain on something and backing up to tighten and calling it good. Trust me, we get hassled all the time......even with an EMPTY lowboy :roll eyes: and it's not just us, if you do any work at all around here they'll screw with you 3-4 times per year we wont even talk about how many chains they want to see on a articulated peice of iron lol Pj

  11. #11Cretebaby2009-10-01 22:14

    Isn't that a federal requirement?

  12. #12OCR2009-10-01 22:54

    how to tie down excavator: I've wondered about that, myself... must be ok in Montana though?? Lol... and when the guy sees that last picture....... That was the guy ???... lol OCR...

  13. #13gumper2009-10-02 20:43

    Here's how we do it....4 ratchet binders , one at each end of the track, from the inside of the track to the edge of the trailer. Then a chain and binder over the bucket and another over the front blade. Never even been stopped so far. The machine never seems to move on the trailer. Would this be legal in NY/NJ? I know the local HE dealer does the same with their machines....

  14. #14powerjoke2009-10-02 22:47

    I would guess it would make your front axle a little heavy? OCR: yeah thats the ASS that is always bothering me,.....here we are with an EMPTY lowboy lol Pj

  15. #15ontrac2009-10-23 16:35

    I was stopped by the DOT and he said that I had to chain it and not use the tracks. That is not how the Law reads. If it has factory tie downs they must be used. If not the outward most attach point. I see ratchet boomers on tracks everywhere, it is better than any other method I have used. Also the chain must go from one side to the other to get full weight credit, if not only half. So if you go to the machine with a chain and back you only get half the weight of the chain (if marked). Unmarked chains get the lowest rating. Makes it tough if hauling anything over 25k.

  16. #16nedly052009-10-24 00:50

    I've been through DOT with binders on the tracks in 4 corners, they said it was fine, as long as I had 4 points and one at the bucket he was happy.

  17. #17gr792009-10-29 01:08

    another test I guess this one is bolted down ok No chains YouTube - Ares I-X: Modal Testing ("Tennis Shoe Test")

  18. #18Colorado Digger2009-11-08 12:47

    chaining em' down here is how i do it

  19. #19Chris55002009-11-10 02:43

    Here's how not to chain down your excavator, note the size of the chains used (Only got the best part of 540 ton to secure to the module) "Oops, she slipped!"

  20. #20Chris55002009-11-10 02:46

    Few more :Banghead

  21. #21SONIC2010-11-11 12:14

    tie down looking for photos how to tie down a cat D4H LGP wide tracks and a cat 215 excavator i am new at this and trying to book or videos on this is imposable

  22. #22SONIC2010-11-11 12:18

    tie downs any on can help me out looking photos of how to tie down a cat D4H LGP DOZER and a cat 215 excavator if you have any photos it would help a great deal tryed to find books or videos on this is imposable

  23. #23nedly052010-11-12 05:29

    It's legal in NY, I've been stopped with my machine chained down exactly as yours was and they we satisfied with it.

  24. #24SONIC2010-11-12 06:56

    chain down heavy machinery i have see where they chain it in the middle of the machine as well do you do the same thing for a cat dozer as well there just no place with photo to show you how to do this i have the truckers sucerement hand book but that don't say any thing about heavy machinery if you have any photos of both i give you my e-mail thanks mark i just want to do this right and i am a big safety nut

  25. #25de sanccha2019-03-15 20:23

    Wondering, if there is a rule of thumb for track overhang when loading an excavator? We have been loading a 30 ton Volvo on our float and have more track hanging off the edge of the float than whats on the deck. Looks super doggy and is trick to load/off load, but everyone at work seems to think its ok. But I cant seem to find any definitive rules on this sort of thing.

  26. #26Queenslander2019-03-16 17:13

    The bible says no more than 25%, or 150mm, of the track unsupported,but ultimately it is the operators responsibility to ensure that the load restraint meets the performance standards mentioned in the guide. https://www.ntc.gov.au/Media/Reports/(9E12B22A-6156-41B0-F382-136A34520AF8).pdf

  27. #27de sanccha2019-03-16 21:19

    Thanks for that speedy response Queenslander, I did find that document but must have missed that page. So we are definitely in the wrong to use our float! Makes me feel better for standing up to everyone in my suspicion that something seemed just too dodgy. our tracks where connecting with the deck only up to the first grouser plate bolt, thats like about only 35% of the normal contact area.