Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How to turn the crank manually ?

DanD580c · 2025-05-05 17:19

Good afternoon all...So I'm trying to do a valve adjust on my 580c, no problem right? I wish as all I need to do is find TDC mark for the #1 jug on the flywheel...So moving the flywheel one tooth at a time is brutal with my bad back. Must be an easier way to turn the crank? Not sure if I can get a socket on the crank in front somehow? There must be a super duper hack that can help my dumb ass? Thanks for the help

Replies8
  1. #1Simon C2025-05-05 23:26

    I have not turned over your exact motor in your machine but have turned over many different types with an old Cummins 855 barring tool. Just used it 2 weeks ago to turn over a International D-246 found in a 84 Hydro tractor. Have used it on many different types of front pulleys if you have access to it. Will try to find the part number, but maybe someone else has an easier idea. Simon C

  2. #2BluewaterLa2025-05-06 01:52

    I've removed the belt(s) and used a strap wrench to turn the crank pulley when access with socket and ratchet would not fit.

  3. #3Simon C2025-05-06 10:26

    Have also used an OTC Chain Wrench with extension chain on it to turn over Komatsu D155 large front damper. Worked good. Simon C

  4. #4DanD580c2025-05-06 14:23

    Thanks Simon...I'll see if I can find one..>D

  5. #5DanD580c2025-05-06 14:25

    Tried this suggestion and it worked pretty well...Thanks Bluewater

  6. #61978case2025-05-06 21:18

    You can take the starter off and use a flat blade screwdriver.

  7. #7B&B2025-05-08 10:05

    Why not use a jumper switch on the starter? Make sure it's in neutral and fuel shut off as well obviously but I just did the same to set valves on a 4045jd power unit

  8. #8Picklesweet2025-05-08 20:30

    You can turn the engine with the fan blade, backwards, might have to have the fan belt tight, I hold the extra tension with my finger, wait for the compression to go away then turn some more. Make sure it can’t start