Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How too remove track on cat 287b

windowbarn ยท 2010-06-28 18:16

We have a 06 Cat 287b that the one rear wheel broke on the axle or maybe it's called the bogey wheel not sure exactly. Anyway if you can hopefully figure out what I;m talking about I think the track needs too come off for that. I have only taken off a bobcat track which looks way simpler than this. Could someone please give some direction on where too even begin with taking it off?? I read somewhere about pushing the squirrel cage to the side but I'm not even sure what that is. Would really appreciate any help. Thanks

Replies15
  1. #1kuangqy2010-06-28 19:04

    I will give you a manual in the email, which is about the asv, the tracks are the same as cat.I hope it can help you.

  2. #2windowbarn2010-06-28 19:32

    That would be great. Thanks!! also is there any tricks too the whole process

  3. #3windowbarn2010-06-28 20:15

    thanks alot that should make the job alot easier

  4. #4BossHogg2010-08-22 12:50

    NEED HELP...... I have no idea how to start a new thread on this forum... I have a CAT 287C skid steer with 1160 hours...:I use mostly for land clearing and bush hogging... I have a warning light on, its an flashing exclamation point. The manual only says its a "level 2 warning" and has no information on the cause or remedy for this problem.. It only says "change operation or severe damage may occur" what the heck does that mean??? I called the dealer and the mech. said i needed a new hydraulic filter, (didnt work, light is still on) The machine runs and sounds fine, and has power, but the travel speed is reduced dramatically. It is a 2 speed machine, and even in high, it is very slow... Its like the computer has the drive speed restricted.. Any one have any ideas?? Please copy this to a new thread if anyone has the privilege.

  5. #5digger242j2010-08-22 14:45

    CM took care of starting a separate thread here. (Just so this one can stay on topic.)

  6. #6Jaybuild2010-11-22 18:51

    How did that work out Windowbarn? I just picked up the same machine and I have to change the bearing on the squirrel cage. Any suggestions?

  7. #7BLconst2010-11-22 23:55

    i too have a 287b. i noticed one of the inner bogie? wheels are cracked and fell out. I have read alot of people here having bearing problems too. Before disassemble, how do you know if the bearings are bad? My whole u/c is looking bad, what am I looking at money wise to fix bogies and the larger wheels at ends? The squirrle cages look fine. Are the tracks really 6K?

  8. #8STC732010-11-23 21:46

    Sounds dumb but we had a light come on and kinda did the same thing. How often do you blow out your air filter? Ours wasnt done bye another operator and i checked it blew it out and the light went off and power returned. :Banghead

  9. #9h8cat2010-12-27 17:24

    Lots of prying and one person in the cab to roll the track.

  10. #10QuickTrax2010-12-27 17:59

    To remove the track, you need to remove the adjuster rod which is held in by two small pins with cotter pins keeping them from coming out. (You might not have an adjuster rod). You then will have four bolts holding the squirrel cage assembly onto the rollerframe (the squirrel cage is the assembly that drives the chains. You don't have to disconnect the hoses going to the motor. After the cage assembly is loose you can slide it to the side. Hopefully some other guys on here can elaborate on this more than I can. Good Luck, Quick Trax

  11. #11JPM2011-04-11 16:08

    Is the 277 b track work basicly the same? I just got the machine and don't know much about it or have a manual.

  12. #12tacotory2011-04-15 19:42

    Yes, it is the same. These undercarriages take a LOT of maintenance and they are BIG bucks to repair. Do yourself a favor and check out the drum of each bogie assembly- 6 or 7 per side. There is a threaded plug in each. The tube is supposed to be filled with lube. The ASV dealer here said that they pump in an entire tube of grease and then top it off with gear oil. Not sure what Cat recommends. I bought one a little while back and had to dump in almost $4k in parts alone into the undercarriage on it. Luckily I bought it at an auction and got it cheap, but still wasn't pretty.

  13. #13Catster2012-07-25 16:29

    If anyone has a manual please pm me as I am looking for one. Thanks

  14. #14ktrent2012-08-08 21:31

    When you unbolt the drive unit slide it forward into the slot toward the front. You can then but a bolt in the one hole and the whole unit will swing out to the side. Then it's easy to remove track. Tire mounting soap is a must for new track installs. Please note front and rear idlers mount with cams that can be turned to adjust total length of undercarriage. I have seen these be turned opposite from side to side and ruining the rollers. Definitely grease over oil in housings. I would replace worn or broken rollers with Baer aluminum rollers. Also it's cheaper to buy complete housings from cat over bearing kits and labor. Hope this helps. Btw 277 and 287 undercarriages use some of the same parts but are totally different in design.

  15. #15c0pperwire2013-06-10 18:56

    Can you send me the email for the track manual to the 287B. Thank you Can you send the manual for the tracks for the 287b to my email too. It is [email protected]