Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How would I register a Tri Axle Dump truck in PA

lact ยท 2015-03-11 22:01

I have a Tri Axle Dump truck that a guy is willing to sell me. I am assuming the title could be transferred in my name in any place you would a car. My question is how can I find a place that provides a state inspection and emissions testing, and registration. What would the total cost of this be in the state of PA? (Inspection and emissions testing, Registration) Also, what would the cost be if the truck didn't pass inspection. I would have to pay extra I believe. Please go easy on me if I made a dumb question I am new to this business.

Replies9
  1. #1old-iron-habit2015-03-11 23:21

    In most states the seller has to provide any emissions testing and safety certs that is required by law. The exception is if they are to be non operable. Call your DMV and ask them.

  2. #2overworked2015-03-12 03:54

    I assume you are buying from a private individual, most dealers can provide a inspection, most truck repair garages will also, any place that can inspect will have a blue keystone shaped sign hanging on the outside of the building. Cost is pass or fail. You have 30 days of a fail to have it rechecked after repairs were made. Registration can be done at most title and tag locations, you will need insurance, A tri-axle should register at 73,280 I believe. You will also need a CDL and medical card and fuel tax stickers ( $12.00 ) for Pa only. I would suggest you work with a reputable dealer with a warranty as you do sound new to the business.

  3. #3digger242j2015-03-12 07:29

    No emission inspection is required for anything at 10,000 or above GVW.

  4. #4lact2015-03-13 08:39

    What do you mean the cost is "Pass or Fail". Surely there is a dollar amount cost right? Also i am new to the business so i dont know what "a tri axle should register at 73,280" mean. Thank you for your help.

  5. #5overworked2015-03-13 09:08

    There is a fee for inspection, say $100.00, you pay it pass or fail, then you have 30 days to make repairs, go back to same garage and be reinspected for no charge. 73,280 is max weight you can register for with a tri-axle. Hope that helps.

  6. #6redneckracin2015-03-13 15:58

    If you don't have a CDL, you can't drive that truck either. I suggest you do some research on the Penn Dot website before you get in over your head. Do you even have DOT numbers?

  7. #7buckfever2015-03-13 17:23

    I'm not trying to be a ***** but how much have you looked into hauling with your own tri-axel? Inspection and registration are the easy part. Getting your fuel tax sticker, DOT number, PUC number, and insurance is going to be a bunch of paper work. Then are you going to run just in pa or are you going to be hauling into other states? If your going into other states you need apportioned plates and I think in some states you have to have there DOT numbers and one of thier fuel tax stickers on your truck. Now I know if you haul some one else's equipment you have to have load insurance but I'm not sure if this would also apply if you haul say stone that some else pays for and you just haul it. Not trying to beat you down just letting you know thier is more to trucking then just loading and go.

  8. #8stumpjumper832015-03-13 23:43

    Ok, as others have stated there is more to it that buying a new car. There is plates, both apportioned and non apportioned. You will need apportioned plates or trip permits if you cross into any state other than pa. Its my understanding that even with apportioned plates you have to buy permission for each state you intend to visit. Can't help you with cost, but the in state plates are just shy of 2k I think. Then there is the fuel tax stickers, you will need to have the right stickers for in state or out of state. Choose out of state and there are quarters reports & taxes due depending on your milages. You will need to keep a record of how many miles you drive in each state. Now you will also need a dot number, and a puc number, and possibly a mc number. Then the driver will have to have the proper cdl, and medical card. You might want to read up on the FMCSA and their rules concerning heavy trucks and the log requirements too. Then your going to need your commercial truck insurance, and after this, and a passed vehicle inspection, btw, they are semi annual, not annual like your grocery getter... If you have completed above, there is a good chance your now ready to haul your first load.... and the headaches associated with that... And remember... you will need to have a substantial pile of cash as well, I would suggest having 15-20k available for emergencies like flat tires, tow bills, and repair costs... and that's not inc your operating capital to get you thru till the people your working for actually pay you.

  9. #9lact2015-03-24 14:29

    Thank you everyone for your advice and help. I registered the truck, and hired a driver. The truck is now working in the streets.