I have an old Howard Rotavator that is missing the pto shaft and slip clutch. Does anyone know where I could find one?
$80 on Amazon and have a shaft made.
Unless it's something unique to Howard, Tractor Supply has various shafts and parts to put a shaft together if they don't have a complete one that works. They probably have slip clutches, too. I would think any reputable ag parts place or website should be able to help you out.
I tried Tractor supply but the problem is the tiller has a 10 spline shaft and most modern shafts are 6 spline.
Looks like a model P. Try this place. Years ago the owners dad was a Howard distributor (Suburban Equipment). I know they still had some Howard parts when I was in there a few years ago because I saw the back cover for a selectatilth gearbox. They likely have the parts books. If the part part isn't available they may know a solution. They might have the big gauge wheel you're missing too. That's a darn good rototiller. Techweavers Inc. Provides dynamically updatable websites. Never pay to update your website again (We Make Websites Simple) Techweavers Inc. located in Western Canada is your source for Dynamic Web Site Services, web design, graphics and hosting services. (We Make Websites Simple) www.tramsales.com
Thank you. I will give them a try. Fingers crossed.
Let us know what you find. I'd like to have a Howard myself.
Just heard back from Tram Sales and they said they didn't have anything.
Did they have any idea or at least a pic. of it from a parts book? I'd think a good machine shop may be able to make an adapter to use a standard PTO shaft. I'm not sure if the original Howard's used a slip clutch. Could maybe pick up a standard splined PTO adapter and see if a machine shop could make an adapter. I could see a piece of round stock machined to fit the splines on the tiller with a flat end that bolts on. Then it could have holes threaded around it for a matching plate with a standard 1 3/8" 6 spline PTO shaft. It could be welded on to the plate. If Tram had a pic. would sure help.
No they sent a manual of it with an exploded view but no dimensional drawing. I think I'm at the point of getting something machined because I can't find anything. They did use a slip clutch so if I have an adapter machined then I could use a readily available slip clutch.
That's good. At least you can see how it all goes together.
@chasehalvy , were you able to make progress? If so, how? Thanks, Lew (also Utah so interested in sources for the same reasons)
Try Chattanooga driveline 706-428-0403 or Royal brass and hose 770-427-6163
Google search for 10 spline adapter. Came up with this immediately. amazon link If this adapter is sized correctly, trim to fit on a lathe. Plenty of 6 spline pto shafts on Ebay in different lengths and plenty of slip clutches available.
I reckon that spline in the photo is a fitment that can be changed.to 6 or 20 spline. Bare Co and Hardy Spicer have these available. Another alternative is to get a yoke with a smaller bore hole (no splines) and machine it to fit.