Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Howm much rock would I need?

tripod58 ยท 2008-02-21 09:40

If you have a trench that is 3 feet wide and 4000 feet total and you are putting 1 foot of rock back in ( big size pea gravel) 57 stone where I am from. I think I figured it right but I want to make sure, it just seems like a lot. I guess the rock is around the size of a quarter

Replies34
  1. #1DPete2008-02-21 10:21

    444.44 cubic yards, call it 444 ( 4000 x3 x 1 divide by 27 )

  2. #2Steve Frazier2008-02-21 10:25

    445 yards

  3. #3dayexco2008-02-21 10:30

    that would be if you can get a direct dump into the excavation. through the years, we've found that by the time you dump it on site, pick it up with loader, dump in excavation, you'll have a min. of 10% loss somewhere, heckifino where it goes. but i would build yourself in a 10-15% fudge factor for this.

  4. #4tripod582008-02-21 11:22

    Thanks that is what I came up with, I just wanted to double check

  5. #5rino14942008-02-21 19:14

    I do the same. I usually figure 10% loss for bedding material.

  6. #6CM19952008-02-21 19:49

    I agree. I use 10%-15% waste factor on stone depending on the season, you loose more in winter due to mud, the bottom 6" or so is always lost in the mud. It also depends upon the type of soil you will be digging in. Also consider the size of the truck you will be using to haul the material to the jobsite in. You will have to convert CY to TN. #57 stone from Vulcan averages out to 26 tons per 18CY or 1.45 tons per CY. I always even it out to the nearest 18CY - that's what my tri-axle carries. Tripod58 - where abouts are you located in AL?

  7. #7tripod582008-02-21 20:13

    In Spanish Fort, near Mobile

  8. #8CM19952008-02-21 20:16

    I have got a crew working in Robertsdale - well I should say I have a very soggy project in Robertsdale that I wish my crew was working on.

  9. #9fensoncont.2008-02-21 20:24

    Here in Ohio for 57 stone 1.5 ton/yd is figured.

  10. #10Northart2008-02-22 02:02

    How Much ? Using CM1995's data ; 445 cy total divided by 18 cy per truck = 24.7 truck loads 24.7 loads x 26 ton per load = 642.77 ton total 445 cy x 1.45 ton per cy = 645.25 ton total 645.25 ton divided by 26 ton per load = 24.8 truck loads 1st method uses yardage for computations . 2nd method uses tonnage for computations. Looks like if you just haul in 27 loads it will work ! Then call for more, or bury, or haul off excess. Every body agree on the math ?

  11. #11tripod582008-02-22 15:11

    Norhart, that is close to what I came up with. I just wanted to make sure I was close, we try to just do low pressure systems so I don't usually fool with rock and its been a while. Fiued I would double check before I end up eating some rock.

  12. #12rino14942008-02-22 15:18

    Check with your state regulations on weight limit of trucks. In my state, there is no way any tri-axle can haul 26 ton legally. Our tri-axle can haul about 22 ton. Trucks with aluminum wheels and boxes can get about a max of 24 ton.

  13. #13fensoncont.2008-02-22 15:34

    Don't dare think about Ohio!!!!! My uncles truck is 17 ton on a tri axel. hahaha

  14. #14Dirtman20072008-02-22 15:46

    I think quint axles can only haul 26 tons legally here. Someones over loaded with 26 tons on a tri. I know my dad almost had a heart attack when he pull out of the quarry oneday with 19 tons on a tandem. I think the most he could haul legal way 15or 16 tons.

  15. #15CM19952008-02-22 19:45

    We are in the same state and you can haul 26TN legally with a tri-axle on secondary (state/county) roads in AL, although you would be put under the jail for hauling that on the Interstate. In addition, the quarry here will not let a truck leave the scales that is overloaded - too much liability on their part if the truck gets into an accident. 26TN is 52K LBS + truck weight of 26K LBS = 78K LBS gross weight. A tri-axle dump truck can legally have 20K LBS per axle or 80K LBS gross. Well I am not located in Ohio.

  16. #16rino14942008-02-22 22:47

    Same here, quarries won't let us leave if we are overloaded. Legal weight here for a tri-axle is 73,280.

  17. #17Turbo218352008-02-24 08:59

    Ohios weight laws suck. A lot of other states weight laws suck compared to Michigan. Depending On how your truck is plated you can gross out at 164,000 lbs. Its common to get 52 tons at a time depending on the truck. Pretty common representation of the trucks we see around here

  18. #18digger242j2008-02-24 10:11

    Back to the original question... Is this being used as bedding for pipe? Has any consideration been given (by anybody that calculated this), for the volume of the pipe? Or am I reading more into the question that is there?

  19. #19JimBruce422008-02-24 21:27

    Not gonna try to figure in the amount you need, but is the ground stable around the trench. If it is and you're contracting a trucking company to bring the stone in anyway see if any contractors around you own "stone slinger" trucks. When I worked in one of our quarries last year I used to see them coming in and out all the time loaded with 57's... might cut down on waste, just a thought:beatsme

  20. #20Turbo218352008-02-24 22:14

    Depending on the size of pipe in the trench, id say less that 6inch, is not going to effect the amount of stone you are going to need. The little amount it would, would account for what you will lose if you dump the stone on the ground. A slinger truck is nice, but i would estimate it would add 20% to the cost of the stone.

  21. #21digger242j2008-02-25 05:41

    4,000 feet of 6" pipe figures to take up 116 yards of space. That's a fair amount of difference. Certainly, the smaller the pipe, the less difference it makes, but since it was never specified in the original post, I thought it was a question worth asking.

  22. #22Big Iron2008-02-25 11:49

    typically when i figure my bedding material it is from the bottom of the pipe down with a little extra for chinking the lower radius of the pipe (i like to do that when laying the pipe and use excess bedding material, tends to help keep it in place when you are covering it), however when figuring my cover material is when i would figure the pipe size in. 10 to 15% is about the loss to material moving and compaction is what i also figure.

  23. #23dayexco2008-02-25 13:55

    what am i doing wrong here? .25' x .25' x 3.1416 x 4000' /27 = approx 29 cu. yds?

  24. #24Northart2008-02-25 17:24

    Computations ? Hello Dayexco, Here's the formula for a Circular Cylinder ; Volume = Pi (3.1416) x R (radius) squared x Height (length) http://www.math.com/tables/geometry/volumes.htm Radius squared = .25' x .25' (3"x3") = .0625 square' 3.1416 x .0625 square ' x 4000' = 785.4 cubic ' 785.4 cubic ' divided by 27 cubic ' = 29 cubic yds Your right Dayexco, someone else lost their a** on that bid . LOL

  25. #25digger242j2008-02-25 19:12

    Aw, poop. :Banghead That's what you get for posting when you've only been awake for 15 minutes. I multiplied Pi by 6" (which is of course, the diameter, not the radius.) ointhead What I should do is go back and edit my original post to say 12" pipe, then try to convince you guys it's you that screwed up. Since we don't know whether there's pipe involved, let alone what size it might be, and since somebody may read this thread later, looking to learn what to do (or not do, in Digger's case), it's still a valid question.

  26. #26Northart2008-02-25 20:46

    Fuzzy Math ? Hello Digger, Is that what you call fuzzy math ? LOL Just joking , errors in computations happen all the time. Actually, really need the specs here, to accurately estimate the work and material. Pipe bedding specs varies , as to just spring line, or all around, bottom, sides,top cover. Compaction effort,ditch fabric liner,etc. Yes, I seen where your error was , just waiting to see if you would find it. Take care, Northart

  27. #27digger242j2008-02-25 21:20

    I'd have found it, when I ran out of stone, about 800 feet short of the end of my ditch. :jawdrop

  28. #28dayexco2008-02-25 21:52

    actually, when i figure bedding rock, i don't even consider pipe into the excavation. rock "disappears"....through compaction, it gets pushed into the bottom and sides of the excavation, it gets wasted from dump pile into excavation...it just, disappears?:beatsme:beatsme i always take the spec'd overdig, and cover...and add a min. of 10-15%...and very, very seldom we have rock laying around our job when we're done.

  29. #29rino14942008-02-25 21:56

    I do the same unless it is 12" or larger. I figure, bedding, size of pipe and cover all into the equation. I don't worry about the size of pipe, like I said, unless it is 12" or larger. I also add 10% extra.

  30. #30CM19952008-02-25 22:30

    I do the same. There is a difference between academic estimating and true "on the job" estimating.

  31. #31ForsytheBros.2008-03-05 01:12

    Quote from Dayexco: "i don't even consider pipe into the excavation. rock "disappears"...." Hey Dayexco- that brought up a memory of a city job we worked on. We're on site laying sewer, with our rock pile about 200' away from our trench location. Some guy pulls up to the pile in a station wagon, starts loading rock from the pile into 5 gal buckets. No asking permission, no "Hi" , nada. Interesting world we live in.

  32. #32Turbo218352008-03-05 09:41

    Ya know ForsytheBros. I think i woulda taken the loader over and put a bucket in the back of the station wagon for him :naughty:thumbsup

  33. #33tuney4432008-03-05 13:20

    Ditto---once,coming in on Monday morning,I noticed 2 shovels,a pick,a newer M-11 wheelbarrow and a nice new steel bar by my topsoil pile.This was right in the middle of a bunch of homes. Saw the wheelbarrow tire marks leading to 2 houses and figured they stole about a yard--tops.No big deal---all those tools are part of my fleet now---nobody dared step forward to complain about their ''stolen'' tools. Sweet justice.

  34. #34ForsytheBros.2008-03-05 22:57

    ha ha ha Turbo and Tuney, you made my day:notworthy