Was looking at the business end of the Henuset Polarbear and there are 2 of the quad chain drives on each side to drive the trencher wheel. Judging by the sprockets there's very little wear. Curious if anyone would have an idea what the HP rating of a set up like this would be? The engine is a 16V-149 with 4 turbos and apparently puts out 2000 HP. I'm also wondering if the extra wide D9 pads are a common available option or more of a special order? I think there about 36" wide.
I don't know what RPM it ran or too much else about it. It replaced a Cat engine that I think was around 1300 HP. It was a fast trencher by all accounts but I'm not sure how trencher speed is measured. I'd guess miles per day or per hour but digging depth and ground conditions would have a big effect. Apparently it was designed for frozen ground. All the side openings used to have windows. The operator station has a door to close it off with a big heater in it. It will be fantastic if they at least get the engine running. I think that's their plan. It's big and weighs 168 tons. It's one of those machines you hear about and see pics. of but seeing it up close in person gives you a much better idea of how awesome it is. It's too bad 1 of the 2 Henuset designed and built HD41 pipelayers didn't get donated as well. They are largest pipelayers ever made. Arthur Henuset was a visionary and outstanding designer of specialized pipeline equipment.
I'm going to wild guess each one of those quad chains are around 500 ho, if you can get a number off them we can look it up I think
It’s a beast.
I found another reference that says it was 1250 HP so who really knows?? It is highly possible it revved higher than a Cat engine which might make it faster because the ditcher wheel would turn faster.
16V-149, I would not want to be paying for an oil change on that engine.
Two strokes don't get their oil changed nor need too. The fuel bill is worse
Is this just a funny reply or do you really think 2 cycle diesels need the oil mixed in the fuel, like a chain saw?
It's the old joke they leak so much you just add oil and check the fuel. On a 16-149, however, it's probably going to burn at least 50 gallons per hour.
My last 671 would leak 1 gallon per 8 hours.
The only engines i have scene with a combustion air emergency flap to shut down when it starts consuming its own oil and run away……Also works well for stuck fuel rack/gov.
Will the jakes shut them down if there is no flap. Never was around one with jakes. Yes they for sure have more going on than most diesel engines do as far as components that can add crankcase oil to the mix for a runaway. I suppose for marine applications much care is taken for inlet air valves for emergency shut downs, especially the big EMD installations.
I'm not sure depends on what turns on the Jake's if the sensor for the throttle is on the pedal or or on the rack
I'm thinking just having an activation switch by pass any throttle position switch. Should work, I'd think.
I have run small Detroits in my equipment for years now,mostly cranes which are the nemesis to a Detroit due to excessive idling. It is true they dont really care for oil changes . The trick for reducing the oil slobber to a minumum is not to overfill them and be sure the air box drains are clear. I run a correctly graduated dip stick at no more then half full and they stay clean.