Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hub conversion Fruehauf trailer

MeanGene427 ยท 2023-11-19 15:29

I have a 1968 Fruehauf deckover tiltbed trailer, dual axle single wheels rated @20K. It has the Dexter 8-133 rim clamp 5-lug 14.5" hubs, and I would like to convert it to 8 lug hubs so I can run good 16" rims n HD tires on it, don't trust the 14.5's. What hubs would work, or will I need to pull a wheel and get the bearing #s/ measurements? I need to crawl under and look for Dexter axle numbers too. Anyone familiar with this conversion? This is a very handy trailer with an 8x20 ft tilt deck, just would like to upgrade the wheels n tires

Replies3
  1. #1dporter2023-11-19 17:46

    Should be easy. I just did that conversion to mine. my axles were newer , having been changed out four or five years ago. They were a direct replacement. New drums and bearings fit right up no revisions. My understanding if your axles are older than you will need a new outer bearing to match. If i understand your description correctly you have two axles with single wheels, four tires total. is that correct? if so running 8/14.5 tires your max weight should be 12000lbs based on the tires alone. Am i correct or misunderstanding your setup?

  2. #2MeanGene4272023-11-19 18:08

    Yep, dual axle, single wheels. Did you find a kit with drums & hubs? Have to go by bearing size? I know it will work, was looking for what hubs/ drums to make it work. I have seen kits in the past complete with wheels n tires, but didn't want to go that way and end up with Chinesium tires

  3. #3dporter2023-11-19 18:30

    No my hubs did not need changing, they were the same. Only needed new drums. Rims and tires of course.