Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Huh?

coopers ยท 2008-01-23 21:31

Why is there an xtra stick for controls if this is not an extendahoe? I noticed that and became very confused, not sure if I'm forgetting something or what. :Banghead http://cgi.ebay.com/35-Case-Backhoe...oryZ1268QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Blake WA

Replies30
  1. #1IH PULR2008-01-23 21:38

    is that the stick to lock the hoe in place for transport?

  2. #2coopers2008-01-23 21:54

    No, it's directly behind the boom, directly in front of the controls...what he said in the text is that you can convert it to an extendahoe, but that would take a lot I think and I have never seen a 4th stick randomly added unless it's actually no an e-hoe.?? It's odd if u ask me. Elast or Melben, any thoughts? Blake WA

  3. #3pwrstroke6john2008-01-23 22:23

    The stick on between the controls and the stick would be a lock lever.

  4. #4dirtslinger2008-01-23 22:41

    Awkward and unusual spot for the lock lever, but that is what it is. 2 outriggers 1 boom in/out 1 stick in/out 1 bucket control 1 attachment control 1 boom lock

  5. #5dirtslinger2008-01-23 23:11

    heh. That listing is from my town. What a koinkydink

  6. #6digger242j2008-01-23 23:16

    Not that I've been on a great number of 580s (more like I spent quite a bit of time on one or two), but I never saw one with an "attachment control" per se. If memory serves me correctly though, the extendahoe lever was a bit shorter than the other three, though not as short as the stabilizer levers. Although, I have no better explantion of what that 4th tall lever is. The boom lock is completely separate from the hydraulic controls, and can best be seen in the picture on the lower left.

  7. #7dirtslinger2008-01-24 00:59

    only reason I mention the attachment control is because in the auction he mentions attaching hydraulic attachments. Im not all that familiar with older equipment, but thats the only logical thing it could be. Newer Cases have a much smaller lever on the right side. If so equipped for attachments.

  8. #8coopers2008-01-24 03:28

    I just came up with the bright idea....I'll shoot him an email and ask. ointhead Then I'll report back. Blake WA

  9. #9tonka2008-01-24 04:26

    UM the 4th stick is different than the rest the knob is slightly bigger also the HYD control box is a different color.

  10. #10Elast2008-01-24 08:26

    Bingo we have a winner! You are correct on all counts. The post with the picture before this post is pointing out the auxillary hyd control lever and the stab control valve. On all old 35 hoes the stab control valve is a different color and seperate from the main backhoe control valve. What the picture shows is completely normal. The boom lock lever is the one to the front centre. All 580C's had this in this position. The window on a cab machine had to be put up in order to release the boom. Elast

  11. #11JDOFMEMI2008-01-24 12:02

    It appears some people have forgotten that you could get a case with a 4 lever Ford style control I think thats what it is.

  12. #12digger242j2008-01-24 13:12

    I didn't forget that--it's something I never knew at all! My one 580 had Deere type joysticks, but I never saw one with a 4 stick setup.

  13. #13Elast2008-01-24 13:14

    I was not sure about what you had said here so I went and checked. According to the Case flyer for the 580C this was never an option. According to the newest parts information this was never an option. I am not saying that it was never done but in my 25 years I have never seen it. It may have been something that a dealer did to make it hand swing. You could just install the Ehoe lever and make a rod to go to the swing section. If indeed this is a hand swing option it something that I have never seen before and thank you for bringing it to my attention. You learn something new everyday! UPDATE: just went back to site and owner says lever is for hand swing! Mystery answered. I am curious though why Case does not have these parts listed in Support Pro. Cool when you learn something new like this. Elast

  14. #14JS580SL2008-01-24 15:09

    My guess was Dynahoe controls. But the question is already answered. The Super E's had shorted e-hoe levers. Does anyone in here run Ford controls profficiently? Ive run a 555 and a 580SL that some one changed all the hoses to the Ford pattern. What a strange set up.

  15. #15tonka2008-01-24 17:40

    So what are the foot peddles for then?

  16. #16Buckethead2008-01-24 18:02

    Definitely a foot swing machine The pedals certainly look like the traditional Case foot swing pedals.

  17. #17coopers2008-01-24 22:08

    I got the email back from him, he said those are ford controls, and the foot pedals are simply rest spots now. Blake WA

  18. #18Buckethead2008-01-24 22:32

    I'm busy eating my words Looks like it was originally a foot swing job, though.

  19. #19coopers2008-01-25 00:08

    Yeah this is a rare case and this hoe is set up like the ford backhoes...other than that, those are swing control pedals. Blake WA

  20. #20digger242j2008-01-25 06:32

    I wonder if the control setup is going to hurt the price he's able to get for it? There can't be that many guys out there who are comfortable and ready to jump on a machine with those controls.

  21. #21Cavalo2008-01-25 12:50

    I used to have a case 580c that had 4 levers. The original case set up was three levers and foot swing. In those years they offered (here anyway) every configuration possible......Ford, Cat (SAE) Case, John Deere. Ford configuration was the 4 lever one and they came with the foot pedals whether you needed them or not. If you didnt need them because you had the Cat, Ford, or JD controls, the pedals were just locked into position and then just became foot rests. I had a 580 D with JD controls and on the side of the box it had a lever that was for a boom lock..........it would only work if you pulled back on the lever and then if you tried to move the Boom down it wouldnt move (it was locked) you could still move the stick and the bucket and the swing.

  22. #22coopers2008-01-25 13:54

    Cavalo, I've never run a case w/ deere controls, do you have to lock the boom the same special way you do with the normal 3 case controls or is like the deeres where you just bring it up and lock it? Blake WA

  23. #23LT-x72008-01-25 15:21

    I recently passed up a 2000ish cat because it had the 4 stick controls. I've never ran them, I'm just not sure I'd be able to get use to the ford pattern. I thought the ford controls were a option on most all hoes? I recently saw a late model deer with the 4 stick controls.

  24. #24dirtslinger2008-01-25 17:27

    I like the 4 stick configuration. It takes some getting used to, but once you have it down its no big deal. Its actually pretty nice if youre going slow you can run it one handed because of the foot pedals for the swing. Im not too sure how Id feel about having the 4th lever for swing though. If my memory serves me correctly, as its been quite some time since Ive ran a ford hoe, but arent the controls the complete opposite of cases?

  25. #25JS580SL2008-01-25 17:34

    Cooper, Heres a video of mine. I locked the boom slowly to show some one how to do it. I have 2 stick controls. Works the same way no matter what pattern. http://youtube.com/watch?v=VODrqANCHwQ

  26. #26tonka2008-01-25 17:43

    You have JD wobble sticks!

  27. #27coopers2008-01-25 18:54

    Thanks, I couldn't remember. Blake

  28. #28Cavalo2008-01-27 16:41

    Its just the controls that are different, the rest of the machine is the same.............

  29. #29Cavalo2008-01-27 16:48

    I am pretty sure that when I went to the unvieling of the new 310SJ they said that you can still get all the configurations of sticks, such as the JD wobble sticks or the pilots on the stantions, or the new type of pilots on the arm rests. I think that anybody who is just learning on the the two type sticks (whether it is Cat or JD) is probably best to learn this way because the new pilots of course are just two joysticks and can be operated cat or JD with a flick of a switch on the dash. Years ago you could get (at least up here anyway) any configuration of levers on Case or JD, I dont know about the ford machine or the JCB machine but case and jd offered the Ford, Case or JD/cat levers.

  30. #30JS580SL2008-01-28 08:45

    I agree. I think Pilot controls are the safest controls for some one new to learn on.