Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hyd. “connect under pressure” Quick Couplers

ror76a · 2013-01-27 20:58

Has anyone used these so called " Connect under pressure " quick couplers? They look almost identical to the regular ones, see this link- http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/product_p/ht-cup.htm If so, how do they work? And can you couple a regular (won't connect under pressure) coupler to one of these under pressure?

Replies21
  1. #1JDOFMEMI2013-01-27 23:02

    They look like a good idea, but I don't know anything about them. I may try a set though.

  2. #2blitz1382013-01-27 23:14

    They are meant to be connected with residual pressure, not a live hydraulic line. Ive used them quite a bit, they work great for lines that you always have to disconnect and reconnect.

  3. #3willie592013-01-27 23:25

    Looks like it's the Stucchi APM coupler. I haven't used them myself, but Stucchi makes good stuff. I got rid of the wing style couplers for our low boy wet line and went with the Stucchi VEP HD because they will connect under residual pressure on the low boy circuit and they don't leak oil all over the deck of the truck like wing style couplers do. http://www.stucchiusa.com/PRODUCT SERIES/APM.html

  4. #4Steve Frazier2013-01-28 00:38

    I always had trouble connecting my 4 way bucket on the skid steer if I disconnected it in cool weather and tried to reconnect in the afternoon. This would be a good idea if it works, I'm curious to hear the response.

  5. #5cutting edge2013-01-28 08:13

    Not sure how they work, but they do work well. Ive installed them on countless backhoe and SS 4n1 buckets for exactly the reason you described.

  6. #6Randy882013-01-28 08:18

    Willie, will those leak over time just like any quick disconnect coupler does, we went back to the thread wing version because all the quick disconnects started to leak after just a short while, the vibration did them in, I've gone through so many sets we gave them up and just use the wing screw versions again, we've also had plenty of problems with the flat faced ones leaking over time too, especially on the hydraulic breakers, those seem to be the worst, but ever application seems to kill them over time. Any explaination as to how they work under pressure so they will hook up?

  7. #7DGODGR2013-01-28 08:48

    I have always had trouble with residual pressures on my 435. I have heard about the Stucchi connectors. I would like to get them but I was quoted $500 per set. The ones in the link by the OP are quite reasonable, cost wise, but I need a bigger diameter for the 435 auxilary lines. I did not see anything available, at that site, that were designed to work under residual pressure.

  8. #8DGODGR2013-01-28 08:53

    At the Stucchi site it says that the attachment can not have residual pressure. This makes me wonder if they would be worth the investment/effort. I'm usually switching over to a hydraulic breaker and they often have residual pressure. Does anyone have any experience using them with breakers?

  9. #9DGODGR2013-01-28 08:56

    Do they only work if they are mounted on BOTH sides of the connection?

  10. #10OldandWorn2013-01-28 09:24

    I'm reading it as one side can't have any residual pressure, like the machine which you should be able to bleed. I would assume you would need them on both sides also.

  11. #11willie592013-01-28 18:51

    We're using the VEP HD couplers on the wet lines going to our lowboy trailer. Have been using them for over a year now with no issues. The only issue I have with the wing coupler is our wet line pipes stick out of aluminum deck plate and every time you break connection of the wing couplers they spill a little oil on the deck. After a number of connect/disconnects, deck was an oily mess, and I don't like a mess. The VEP HD has solved the problem for us in this applications. Here's what I read at the Stucchi website; I'm reading that the way OldandWorn is interpreting it...the "connect under pressure" couplers would be fitted to the attchment hoses. The machine couplers (mating circuit) remain original. You would operate the machine as one normally would, release pressure from machine circuit via mode provided by machine manufacturer, that would be the "no pressure on mating circuit". Then the attachment (which has residual pressure from sitting in the sun) will be able to connect to the machines mating circuit.

  12. #12Randy882013-01-28 19:35

    We mounted the wing couplers, upright, so basically no oil spills when we remove them and put the caps on each end, is how we solved that problem.

  13. #13DGODGR2013-01-29 08:51

    I am usually connecting to a rental hammer hoses. I also am not having any luck bleeding the pressure from the carrier unit, per the MFR directions. I was hoping that the installation of these, to the carrier unit, would solve that issue. As of now, I usually have to loosen the quick connectors, at the end of the auxiliary lines, and bleed fluid to make the connections. Obviously this is not the prefered method. I might as well NOT even have the "quick" connectors.

  14. #14CRAFT2013-01-29 17:56

    So let me get this straight ?? ….. you're having problems on the machine end with pressure build-up … and have to crack the fittings on it rather than the attachment end ?? …….. cause I think as most of the guys are having problems hooking up as Steve posted, when the temps change and the line pressure builds up and won't allow you to connect …… I too have these issues with that but only on occasion, most of the newer carriers have some sort of pressure release built into them …. my old skid you had to shut it down and cycle the control levers (due to the fact it was total mechanical spool control) ….. the newer ones like my Bcat have it electronically built in if the pressure releasing couplers (Faster not Stucchi) are being stubborn …… Hmmm?? sounds like you have something else going on there …..Good-luck there

  15. #15Steve Frazier2013-01-29 18:06

    I've had times where the machine lines have built pressure as well, but that's easy to rectify, simply turn the ignition on with out starting the machine and activate both the supply and return solenoids with the engine off. That bleeds the pressure from the lines to the tank. With my bucket however, I had to carry wrenches in the machine to crack the fittings and allow the built up pressure to bleed off. It always seemed to happen in a spot where the oil was going to damage pavement or landscape.

  16. #16SVTSHELBYGT5002013-01-29 20:48

    Stucchi Series VEP HD . Threaded Flat Face Couplings . Will Connect / Disconnect Under 300 Bar Residual Pressure . Best Couplers I Have Ever Used ! Use Them On All Of Our Excavators For Hammers & Compactors . We Got Tired Of Pushing Our Guts Out , Losing Time Changing Attachments . What Good Is A Quick Coupler If You Lose Time Hooking Up Hoses . I Changed All My Machines To This And Thats All I Will Buy ! Never Had One Go Bad !

  17. #17ror76a2013-01-29 21:30

    Alright, good to hear from someone who uses them. My other question is, do you have to have all VEP HD couplers in order to connect under pressure? As in, could I just put the VEP HD s on my machine and have them hook up to attachments with pressure on them with regular couplers? Or would I have to change all of my couplers to the Stucchis? Just trying to be cheap here, $35 for a set of regular vs $110 for a set of Stucchis (which I understand is not that bad for what they are).

  18. #18willie592013-01-29 21:41

    I don't think anyone else make a coupler that will hook up to a Stucchi VEP HD, could be wrong though. However, in standard flat face couplers, such as the APM that you originally mentioned, I think they will connect to other flat face couplers, such as the OEM couplers on a machine aux circuit. The VEP HD is a really heavy duty, high shock load coupler. Not really necessary for standard work duty. I would really like to hear from someone using the APM to know how well they work.

  19. #19SVTSHELBYGT5002013-01-30 06:23

    They Are Heavy Duty But If The Man Wants To Hookup Hoses And Go, This will Get It Done ! If He Adds A Hammer Later He Is Ready . We Have No Problem With Couplings That Come With Our Cat Skid-Steers & CTL's . But A Machine That Will Not Release Its Pressure And A Attachment That Builds Pressure ? Your Cracking A Line Loose Like The Man Said . Done That Before ! Just My 2 Cents. And ror76a Yes I Believe Only Stucchi VEP HD Will Connect To Its Self . Push Them Together , The Threads Pull Them Together For You . No Pushing Your Guts Out . Have A Good , Safe Day Out There Everyone !

  20. #20jleake19892013-11-08 16:21

    I Don't know if you,ve gotten your Stucchi connectors. But if you call Bill at 715-428-2500 he is the owner of g.a. Miller co. www.gamillercompany.com He knows a lot about fittings a does sell stucchi. He also has competitive pricing.

  21. #21Nac2013-11-09 16:30

    The Stucchi connect under pressure work very well. I had issues with my rock drill on my mini excavator I could never connect the hose because it would build pressure. I switched to the Stucchi connect under pressure all my problems have disappeared. There VEP HD fittings are very good but depends on the application. I hammer a lot of rock that sometimes is just to hard you get vibration and hyd pulse in the couplers which cause them to slightly loosen and the seals let go in the couplers. I went threw 3 sets in a few months. After have the rep from Stucchi take a look at my application we went with Stucchi VP Series couplers they are like the VEP HD with an auto locking feature to open and close.