Hello, what are your thoughts on a hyd tilt pin grabber? I’m looking at the CAT model for a 309. It would not be used in rock. What about using a thumb with it? I’d have to make a custom extra long thumb to match the extra length but any reason they wouldn’t work well together? Thanks for your thoughts. This is what I’m looking at.
I had a friend with a Helac tilt coupler and instead of a thumb he bought a “Jaw bucket”. Was a pretty slick setup, could rotate sideways and pull out or set posts and such. He had a bucket made by Werk Brau, but the one below is similar. https://www.amiattachments.com/product/jawbone-bucket-2/
That bucket looks nice, I suppose with the clamshell open if you curl the bucket it will hit the stick ?
I know Cat makes extended hydro thumbs for mini's with a QC as our 305 is waiting on one to be delivered and installed at the Cat house. That clam bucket is slick, seen them on larger hoes. Looks like you would have to be careful with the clam open and rolling the bucket in with a tilt installed or not. Wonder if the hydraulic pressures could be set differently on the open and close circuits to make the open side less pressure?
Thanks, That’s a good idea setting different relief pressures.
I imagine your machine has dual set of plumbing? So you can tilt and grab at the same time. I would have to think you could certainly adjust the relief pressure for the clamping just like you would on a thumb. Also, with just the tilt coupler and a bucket, if your machine has the centered single boom cylinder on the front of the boom, it will definitely hit, you and anyone else that runs it need to be very aware or bad things could happen.
Yes, it has dual auxiliaries. (Well it’s supposed to, it’s on order). I haven’t thought about it hitting the boom cyl, that would definitely be something to watch for!
The new 308's are nice. Rented a new one with a hammer and the cab is a huge improvement, Cat is stepping up the game.