Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

hydralic quick couplers

expatracer ยท 2009-10-20 23:33

I have JD350d just finishing up putting the accesior circuits on it i'm planning on using owe NPK 16x hammer on it . i was going to use stuuchi couplers but one seemed to have failed today on our other 350 after half a day of use .any ideas or apinons on this subject would be helpful:Banghead

Replies13
  1. #1heavylift2009-10-21 00:26

    this is what we use.... the only failure is sledge hammer... instead of snugging them with a pipe wrench... on the wing.... dropping them will ruin them.. down side is they work loose, unless you wrap a bungie cord wrapped around them...

  2. #2Hendrik2009-10-21 02:52

    I have been around these 'old school' ones for years and have never seen a failure. http://www.stucchiusa.com/PRODUCT SERIES/BIR.html They can leak a bit but a new O ring fixes that. They are a bit of a pain because you have to use covers or wipe em. Also they are cheaper than the self sealing types.

  3. #3D1552009-10-21 06:45

    I would never use quick couplers on a hammer. They always lead to problems. Especially on a machine that size with a hammer that big. Thread em on, tighten them down and call it a day.

  4. #4expatracer2009-10-21 09:20

    that was kinder what i was thinking on the subject the hammer requires 68 GPM and im putting the extra elctroniccs on my machine too give use of both pumps on that circuit its a option on the D serius JDs that you can conrol from the cab should be cool to use

  5. #5dirthog2009-10-21 11:38

    I know for a long time Allied would not warrenty there larger hammers if you had quick couplers on them too much trouble with them comming apart and tearing everything up not only in the hammer but the machine also

  6. #6heavylift2009-10-21 11:58

    Ours also is use run a thumb.... we do a lot of demo that requires lots of changes between bucket and hammer..... some places frown on the loss of fluid.... even a small amount.

  7. #7Aardvark2009-10-21 15:14

    Couplers We found that they failed regularly due to pulsation and heated the oil due to restriction. When I got my Indeco hammer fitted to my own machine the mechanic specified that I not use them for those reasons too. I just hold the hose in a big rag to catch any oil that may escape and discard it when it become too soaked. Also found when I started in this industry some time ago that " time is money son", but if they can't wait for a couple of minutes whilst you change attachments ***.:beatsme I try not to work for dudes like that now that I run my own show. Rather use the right tool than bust the machine.

  8. #8Beachbum02862009-10-21 18:54

    Try these, they seem like they would hold up. I do not have any experience with the though. http://www.snap-titequickdisconnects.com/html/QX_slick.html

  9. #9tallman ex2009-10-27 17:19

    Volvo/Akerman have some big couplers that work well with large excavators(340 Volvo) and hammers. They screw together and once you tighten them by had, throw a pipe wench on to snug them up and your good to go, the only thing is that they're pricey. Good luck

  10. #10aidank2009-10-27 18:39

    volvo do a version of these but own brand type, much superior but at a superior price as well, the piston is the size of your finger nail in them unlike these where it is the size of a pencil head

  11. #11Nac2009-10-29 09:31

    I use the stuuchi couplers also and never have a problem just have to make sure you use there dust caps or the treads get messed up fast. They are rated for the GPM just check with your hydraulic shop. There is a big company here that runs over 30 set of these with out a problem.

  12. #12stock2009-10-30 10:10
  13. #13trainwreck2009-10-30 11:16

    http://www.stucchiusa.com/PRODUCT SERIES/VEP.html i have had very bad luck with these so called quick couplers. first of all the are not quick. and second any type of hammering hydralic equipment we destroy them vey fast. We have gone back to no quick couplers at all on our equipment.