I need some advise. I've got a Tramac 900 {3000lb}breaker on a ED 150 Blade Runner. The combo works great in limestone. Doing a job about 85 miles NW and hit some granite. Using a straight chisel I made about 130 ft of trench 3 ft wide 4 ft deep no problem, then I hit some verrrry hard pink stuff. Lost 2inches of tool in about 3 feet of trench. I'm very carfull not to pry or hammer more than 15 seconds at a time. I have over 3500 hrs on the 150 and probably 1000 on the hammer with the original point with almost no wear untill now. Should I change to a different point, get a bigger hammer or shoot??
shoot it that points gotta be around a grand$$$$$$$$ BOOM
a new point runs around $1400. I only need to dig another 70 feet or so for a primary electric survice. I figur at the rate I'm loosing point, two maby three more might get it done.{har har} Hard to turn a profit like that. I was thinking you guyes up north that deal with serious rock might know witch typ of point might break this stuff without bankrupting me.
Point is fine.You're in real hard rock,you simply need more percussion from a heavier wallup.Sucks making dust.
whoops
Has anybody used a ROCKBLASTER demolition tool. Gorillahammers.com claims it's for VERY TOUGH ROCK.
We have 2 Rockblaster hammers, both are 9,500lb hammers and I think in my own opinion the are the best hammers that I have used. They have been on one job on rock every day for almost 2 years with not one major problem other than routine maintenance.
Well{a deep subject} I ment a Rockblaster tool point for my Tramac 900. Has anybody dealt with Gorillahammers??
that tramac should do anything in its class. i have a tramac brh 620 and it hits good and hard for what it is. some times when i hit a spot that im getting nowhere i will drill some holes with a pionjar and load em up with dexpan. sometimes all it takes is one good crack to get things going again. :usa
granite granite is does'nt have any predictable seems as it cools slowly in one mass when it is created.The one thing I have found to be true with it even when breaking it by hand is that if you have a place for it to break to and then make a series of hits in a line and contine back and forth on the same line it will give up.When breaking even with a bullset and hammer the angle of attack matters.If the set is held vertical the break will tend to go straight down but tilt it and it will go in that direction.My best advice in granite if you have to hammer it is be patient and don't stay in one spot for long .Good Luck.:usa
Don't know about that but my neighbor by my shop fabricates points as a sort of side line for their forging operation.Guys that use them say they're better than brand names and much cheaper in price.Check with a forger out your way.
Last year I ran into a run of granite in Taunton, MA. I rented a 160 JohnDeere with a hammer from united rentals. Needless to say the granite laughed at that! Good thing I rented it with the insurance!!!!!!!!!!Then I rented a 450 Hitachi with a 12000 lb hammer and I laughed at the granite. It was an expensive rental but it was well worth it!
Well I don't feal so bad. Electric co. came out to drill for poles friday, burnt up 15 carbide teeth before breaking the drill rig. They only made about two feet on the first hole. I'll let yall know how they deal with it.
Granite Yeah,we have that stuff over here in Ireland as well as what the locals call blue rock which is nearly as bad. In my experience the bigger the excavator the better as the hammers are also rated with higher brake out forces so Camara had the right idea. Neil
very nice people based out of randolph. very good people to work with :thumbsup
Update,electric co. broke two more augers before cutting 18 inches off the poles!!Cheeters!! A MUCH BIGGER HAMMER {than my 3000lb} would be the ticket in this suff. But I got to run what I brung so I figured out that if I ran the hammer five seconds or less and took six inch or less bites I quit loosing point and actually finished the job.WHEW!! Every time I got a chunk bigger than a golf ball I'd do a jig.
Blast It! Why do people spend so much time on rock that will not move. Just blast it! We blast in a day what hammers do in a week. With fuel heading to $5.00 per gallon?
Sometimes when pioneering access roads the last thing you want to do is blast and possibly fracture material over which you are building the road. A breaker is just safer than chucking a machine down the hill.:cool2
I applied for my federal explosives license today. Supposed to take two to three months for the background check and all.
you´re going to have to post videos :drinkup
Hope they don't wind up on americas funniest home videos. Did some shootin in the mid '80s. Bought our first hammer and haven't needed to use dynomite sence.
THAT D**N Granite. Hi, Armadillo. Granite is almost always a test for any hammer. Bigger hammers tend to get better results - - - - sometimes. NO garantee. I've seen a hammer point turned blue and rivetted in TWO minutes in granite. Drilling and shooting is usually the answer or, if you can't shoot it, drill it and use Expandite or something similar that swells as it cures and cracks the rock, hopefully enough that you can then get it with your hammer. A GOOD blacksmith will often recondition a hammer point to better than the new product and a LOT cheaper - IF he knows what he is doing.