Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic Couplers

antyK ยท 2011-03-17 16:19

Help. I'm working on 1970 Case580CK and trying to stop the quick disconnects for the hydraulic lines from leaking. The female hydraulic connector has part number D31978 described as a double o ring and its backup retaining ring. Case wants $85 for the little o ring and its plastic clip. Does anyone know of another o ring that will fit these couplings? Or some way to jury rig? Is there another supplier. perhaps a hydralic line company? $85 for an o ring? I was told that restoring this old beast was going to be a money pit, but that's just crazy. It's an o ring! Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Replies4
  1. #1clay digger2011-03-17 21:40

    On ag couplers, there is the little plastic retainer and a regular o ring. We buy them at the local John Deere shop or industrial supply places and they are not very expensive. They get wrecked with some regularity and $2 is cheap compared to oil. Use a pick to take them out and take them to a supply place and see what they say.

  2. #2tcsalvage2011-03-18 08:26

    for the o-rings and seals call allegheny york @1-717-266-6617. for the fittings get them from parker hydraulics they are all over the U.S.

  3. #3antyK2011-03-21 16:02

    thanks for your suggestions. allegheny york remembers them from years ago, but have nothing now, and I've talked to ag suppliers with no luck. the rings I am looking for have an ID of @23 mm, a cross section of @3 mm and a height of @6 mm. Has anyone tried to use 2 "o" rings side by side? Or tried to use a quad ring?

  4. #4antyK2011-03-27 09:48

    Just in case anyone encounters leaky couplers, here's the results of my adventures in rebuilding the coupler on the 580. Instead of buying the aforementioned $85 factory double o ring I ordered a bunch of regular o rings from allegheny york (the people there were very helpful). No one had double o rings. After trying a bunch of different sizes i used two o rings (23mm with 3.5 mm cross sections) side by side with no back-up ring. The hoses fit very tightly together, but they are not leaking. temporary fix found for less than $20 bucks! Now I can move on to actually getting the 580 to move and dig. And the most important piece of information - don't bother with the double o rings or rebuilding the couplers. You can buy brand a new universal replacement hydraulic coupler for around $60 that's less than the price of the double o ring rebuild kit. I'll be buying new couplers once the machine is running. Thanks again for you help.