Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

hydraulic cylinder disassembly Cat 426 boom

ycanby ยท 2014-04-13 18:12

Hello, I was wondering the best way to get the head off the boom cylinder on my 426 Cat in order to replace the seals. Would a large pipe wrench work or is there a better wrench for it? Thanks, YVC

Replies3
  1. #1Delmer2014-04-13 19:18

    Yes. You probably want a gland wrench, either pin style or notch style, I don't know Cat.

  2. #2TheContractor2014-06-30 15:57

    Not sure is you solved your problem but next time may I suggest contacting Beiler Hydraulics. They have been providing quality service in the Hydraulics industry for years. If you need any other tips tricks or suggestions, reach out to them. I know they have the knowledge and ability to help you solve your most difficult challenges. Check out their site to learn more. http://www.beilerhydraulics.com/about

  3. #3Tinkerer2014-06-30 20:03

    Don't use a pipe wrench. If the gland is really tight (most of them are) you will regret using it forever. Either purchase or fabricate a tool that will remove the gland the way it was designed to be removed.