I just bought a JD 230clc. Prior owner had JD install a hydraulic thumb. At some point the cylinder got damaged and thrown out. Im now trying to replace the cylinder, but no one has a clue what size or manufacturer. Original deere dealer didnt have the old info. And new deere dealer doesnt really want to deal with a small timer like me. Can anyone give me info on the size of the thumb i should buy? What about manufacturer? I like payin once/cryin once and rather not buy junk. Talked to a salesman at WB and he indicated theres a shortage of the metal and the heat treating process that the cylinder or rod goes through. thanks
Back in April of last year, I had a WB put on a Volvo 460, and it's a nice accessory. No complaints about it. The dealer contracts out all the weld on installs to a guy who told me at the time he had done about 280 of them IIRC. The build quality is good, and this installer did an excellent job. Mine is a model specific to the EC460B, and I can't say what the dimensions are, but your machine being a bit smaller it would have a smaller cylinder and in general be a little lighter and not as wide. Are you wanting a complete thumb, or simply a workable cylinder? If just the cylinder, you'll need to move the thumb to its travel limits to determine the stroke, and calculate the force you want based on about 1850 psi hydraulics. That's what most run at or less. There is a company named Gentec that has thumb kits for many machines and unlike a dealer, probably would be willing to work with you on getting going. JD is listed on there site as one they can furnish. If they won't sell you a cylinder, if that's what you want, they should at least size a thumb for your machine and tell you what cylinder should work. Then it will be up to you to fit it if it isn't a match for the mounts. Get a welder who you trust, preferably with thumb experience, unless you're planning it yourself. I think the Gentec site has some how-to docs on it.
Ya, just looking for the cylinder. Everything else is welded and ready to go. That gets me started in the right direction. Thanks for the help Tony
If the rod and barrel diameters match the bucket cylinder you should not have a problem with damage to either one when using the thumb. When I bought mine I located a couple of vendors that an extremely wide range of cylinder styles and sizes for sale. Here is an example of one with a shorter stroke than the bucket cylinder.
Yeah, Im worried about overpowering and damaging the bucket cylinder. So thats a good reference. Thanks
Call the guys at Solesbees Thumbs (solesbees.com) They are good with information. It may not be there thumb but can help. The pressure for the thumb is adjustable so if you are overpowering the bucket it can be adjusted down Steve
Due to the lowered operating pressure recommendation on a thumb, you would be wise to put a gauge on it to make sure you know what the pressure is. Since it uses the same circuit as say, a breaker, make sure you have your configuration correct for a lower pressure accessory, and it won't be a breaker. I'm not sure on your specific machine, but there should be some adjustment on the main valve body or somewhere in the lines to the thumb to allow this adjustment. I'm sure someone else here can be more specific. I don't believe I have the manual on your machine to reference, or I'd give you some how to on it, but the vendor usually has the knowledge on this if they also do installs instead of just selling parts.
Most valves controlling any of the cylinders have port relief. For example: You scoop a heavy rock, then extend to place it as far away as possible. The valve to the boom cylinder is closed, it isn't in motion, but leverage on the boom has increased sharply, enormous pressure is created in the boom cylinder & hoses. To avoid damage, they use a port relief valve. It lets this excess pressure back to the reservoir. Now imagine a backhoe with extendable dipper, problem is greater. I once built a thumb, repurposed the hydraulic circuit once used for a front grapple. In my ignorance, I didn't know it had no port relief. Ruined the thumb cylinder, then I installed a crossover valve to move oil from one cylinder port to another. You can adjust your port relief.
CaptainE ; You stated that there was a thumb on it, so I was wondering where the control valve is located. Is it still on the machine ? Hopefully it is !
It has two of these Hirose valves. Im trying to look them up, but most of the literature is in japanese. Ill try to do some thumb measuring next week. Thanks guys
Those valves are just shut offs for the aux hydraulics.
Ah Ok thanks. Ill go hunt around the machine this weekend. Excavator and the thumb kit was originally sold by RDO up your way farmerlund. Have ya ever dealt with them? Nice plane too
I have delt with the Moorehead MN store, they handle the construction stuff for JD in my area. They are fine to work with. Parts guys are pretty good.
How can it not be possible for the dealership that sold the machine and installed the thumb to tell you what brand they were using?? It should not be that hard. Also, I've never seen a thumb that didn't have a name plate, or have a insignia made into the thumb. Post a few pics of the thumb. I'm sure one of us on here will be able to identify it.
Many of the chinese don't, I know the one I got from auction doesn't. But the cylinder isn't hard to match up, regardless of thumb brand it will be pretty much exactly the same cylinder the only time it would vary much is if it's a progressive link.
I have never seen dealers install Chinese thumbs. Usually if a dealer installs an attachment, they will need to stand behind it, so they only install name brand.
simple , fold the thumb up against the stick and measure between the pin holes and that is the length of cylinder you need , do you need eyes or clevises on the ends, find a salvage yard or a hydraulic shop and have 1 made
If you get one made make sure they build it with cushion at the end of stroke ,open and closed. Takes that sharp bang away from the thumb
I have. But regardless, I bet 90% of thumbs will use pretty much the same cylinder.
If you just need the cylinder, a good local hydraulic shop would be where I'd start. Give them a few measurements and your pressure specs and they might have what you need sitting on a shelf.
CaptainE, I bought my old hoe a bunch of years ago minus the two stabilizer cylinders. I went through the efforts you have described before finally simply buying and modifying a couple of new log splitter cylinders from Princess Auto. (Canada) They were dirt cheap and have been 100% reliable. Pretty sure Harbour Freight tools sells them.