Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

hydraulic cylinder seal kits

Randy88 ยท 2019-08-19 10:14

I've started a new thread titled specifically hydraulic cylinder seal kits because its been discussed here before in a different tread and for the life of me I can't find it now. Where besides OEM can a person buy seal kits from here in the states.

Replies10
  1. #1TVA2019-08-19 12:51

    Hercules Sealing Products.

  2. #2JohnnyCarcinogen2019-08-19 18:25

    Check any local hydraulic shops. We use one in town for cylinders whose manufactures are a bit too proud of their seals.

  3. #3Tinkerer2019-08-19 20:06

    I have had good luck with Bulldog kits. https://www.bulldogkits.com/ I purchased them from a retied Case dealer that is still selling OEM and aftermarket parts.

  4. #4Zrupp2019-08-22 22:35

    Hercules Sealing Products. If you buy a high volume you can receive a good discount. I really like how you can order kits by machine and serial number.

  5. #5Zrupp2019-08-22 22:36

    Also if you request paper catalogs they will send them to you free of charge. I have a set in my office and service truck.

  6. #6mitch5042019-08-22 23:13

    I use Baum Hydraulics http://www.baumhydraulics.com

  7. #7Randy882019-08-23 05:56

    Thanks guys for the info. There are few places that repair cylinders near me, they've both told me they order OEM seal kits. One you just drop off the cylinder, the other you provide the seal kit along with the cylinder. Do you guys hone every cylinder or just those that look scratched, scuffed or dinged up?

  8. #8Nige2019-08-23 06:10

    Generally there are inspection procedures to be followed. Depending on the condition of the cylinder bore either it would be reused "as-is", honed (in the case of light scratches up to 0.030"), or re-tubed (anything above 0.030"). Those are the cat specs anyway.

  9. #9Wytruckwrench2019-08-23 07:28

    I follow what Nige describes. Hone light scratches. Re-tube anything more. I need to build a rod polisher. Anybody have any good ideas for one?

  10. #10John C.2019-08-23 10:34

    A "0.30" inch scratch. The rule of thumb I got from the time I started making money in this business was if you could catch a deformation with your finger nail, you had to do some type of machine work or replacement. That equates to about "0.010" inch. The local Cat dealer likes to spout out that all hydraulic cylinders need a light hone job. They charge about $100 bucks for it. Last time I talked to the mechanic about it, he acted like it was a diesel engine. "The glaze needs to be broke to seat in the packing." I don't recommend their service as anything other than a gip joint. I don't hone cylinder barrels. If they are damaged, they need to be replaced.