Has anybody on here ever made large ring spanners to open the gland nut on a cylinder. Just wondering what methods you use to draw the shape of the nut on the steel you will use . If i know that it needs to end up being 140mm spanner is that enough or do i need to know how long 1 of the flats on the nut are. Basically how do you mark the hexagon on the steel
We cut a cardboard template, then transfer to metal.Overworked
If I can i cut a hole in the steel i am going to use so it will fit over what ever is in the way then grind it so it is clean and bright then take a magic marker and make it black were i need to mark then hold it up aginst the nut and scrib the line with a pick in the black. Center punch the corners in side the line and drill the 6 points. Then cut between the holes. I save truck springs, mower blades and wear edges to make stuff like this because it can be hardend.
i had to do grand seals recentaly and found to make the spanner was to do as mentioned and use a cardboard template and make it out on the steel when i make the last one i did i found drilling the holes at the 6 corners to be a great help the just cut stright lines in between with the burners paul
[ ATTACH]124940[/ATTACH] What we do is measure the nut from point to point and draw a circle that size with compass and with the same setting on compass make 6 marks around the circle that will give you your flats for the wrench.The other one we burned out for a 5"nut and slotted the sides for 3/4 bolts it will go down to about 11/2
Its good to hear the different methods. Im liking that slotted one!
any body got any pict's or drawings of a custom made hyd table I've always wanted to build one I have a big 150 ton press with movable bed thought about incorporating it into the design some how
That's the one we made at our shop I'll get more pics if I remember on Monday