On the EX120-2 hydraulic fluid. I have no way of knowing what’s in it. The tank is around 18 gallons, if I’m understanding right. That leaves a lot in the rest of the machine. I’ve read here about not “mixing” oils, but I’d like to make sure I’m running what the machine requires. Any thoughts?
Your instinct is to change everything right away. I'd take an SOS oil sample, wait till the results get back, and then if it's not terrible, run it for a while to work out the kinks BEFORE you change the fluid. You might get lucky and dump a lot of fluid on the ground, change it then You can always change the filter, cut it open to inspect for debris. If it's been sitting, the filter could be ten years old, or left out the last time it was worked on
Thanks I can appreciate that advise. You are right, I want to get in and make it “mine” so I know as much as I can, and be responsible for what goes bad. It does have a few healthy leaks on some hoses and plates on outside of pump, pilot controls on one side in cab and stick/bucket Cylinders. I guess my biggest fear is years ago someone dumped regular hydraulic oil into our Bobcat skids and fried the pump. I’m a bit worried if the AW46 isn’t in the machine currently that I’m eating seals and or o-rings or damaging any metals. Maybe I’m overreacting some. The hydraulic shop offered to pull sample free of charge as they like to get things before they blow. The machine has stamped plate that pump is reman Thanks again
You can use any 46 oil so long as it is ashless (zinc free) and from a major "name brand" supplier (although I personally recommend the Hitachi Brand). https://www.hitachicm.com/global/businesses/value-chain/parts-service/parts/hydraulic-oils/ https://www.hitachicm.eu/lubricants/hitachi-genuine-hydraulic-oil/
ConocoPhillips also make a good ashless ISO46 hydraulic oil called EcoTerra. We used it in all our big Hitachis with excellent results.
Thanks, both. That’s what I want to get to, but I don’t know what’s in it. And how to get it all out.
And there is the $64k question. Are you prepared to start pulling hoses and draining stuff all over the machine..? Because that's what it will take to get most of the existing oil out of the system.
Nope, it’s a run what you brung then. I’ll follow the above advise and see what comes from samples. thanks all