Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic fluid for older machines

maddog ยท 2010-08-18 08:05

Hey folks I'm wondering what weight/type hydraulic fluid should be used in older machines? I stated in another post that I'm getting an older hein werner{C14A}. I'm just not sure what hydraulic fluid to use, I'd imagine that an insley bantam etc... would probably use the same type???? Thanks again for all the help with my machines, this site is awsome.

Replies6
  1. #1daman2010-08-18 19:40

    An older unit like that has probably worn seals/packings, valves stuff like that so a thicker oil like any AW 68 or 100 hydraulic oil would probably work.

  2. #2maddog2010-08-18 21:28

    Thanks I've beed going nutz trying to find any info. So you feel the thicker oil would be a better bet? That is what I was thinking but was not sure.

  3. #3daman2010-08-19 06:55

    I've never owned a hein werner but have had lots of hyd equipment etc,and they all seem to like thicker oil's IMO as they age,they just seem to perform little better as that oil gets hot/up to temp.

  4. #4maddog2010-08-19 08:01

    thanks again, I have some newer machinery and when it's cold, it runs much better with AW32. I doubt I'll be using the hein werner during cold weather, and what your writting make sense

  5. #5stock2010-08-19 21:17

    My bet would be for a ISO 32 or 46 hydraulic oil but this depends on the local climate,if it is hot then use a heavier oil and the opposite if it cold.Back in the 70's -80's we used a 15w40 C3 engine oil, the C3 was a Cat spec it made things simple as all you needed was one oil for engine and hydraulics.

  6. #6Chris55002010-08-20 10:08

    You can't beat thick old on ye olde machines, try this here shell mine gear 1500!