Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic fluid in Wacker RT Wheels?

Parts ยท 2019-04-13 20:58

Its been wet so I haven't had a chance to look at it - but our diesel Wacker RT trench roller (remote controlled) seems to have a little hydraulic fluid pooling up in the back wheels. Is this a common issue or something I need to really investigate?

Replies3
  1. #1DoyleX2019-04-14 08:48

    How long has it been since you pulled the drums, covers and changed the oil in the drive and shakers? If the rest of the machine is good fix it. The #1 problem for those is lack of maintenance on the drive, shaker and drum. I'd do it now! There is a few hoses that go into the drums and you have one not happy. Search the model and the parts and op/maintenance manuals are online.

  2. #2Parts2019-04-14 21:33

    Oh it runs beautifully but I don't know when the maintainance inside the wheels was done last. I just researched and it looks like 10W-30 goes in the wheel gearboxes. The fluid I felt seemed more like hydraulic fluid. So you say there could be a hose hanging up in there? Could it be a leaking hydraulic motor or are those located somewhere else?

  3. #3DGODGR2019-05-03 12:57

    Unfortunately anything that might be leaking in there will require removal of the shells & drum covers. The eccentrics are in the drums as well. Furthermore the hydraulic supply lines also go in there and they are prone to rub through as the slot at which they enter that compartment is very tight. If you are lucky it will only be a leaking hose. Either way you are entering the drum. Once inside put nylon (or other) hose guards on those hoses! This will hopefully give you more time between removing those shells and drum covers...i.e. doing it for the oil service intervals instead of to repair hoses. I whole-heartedly agree with previous reply. I had my eccentrics grenade on my RT 820 after only owning a used 400 hr machine for 40 hrs. If you have an RT82 things might be different but the recommendation is still a good one.