I know everyone has their own opinion on brand and what not, but I'm mostly asking this question to make sure I'm not missing or overlooking something. I'm not necessarily brand loyal, but I do want to make sure I have an adequate hydraulic oil for my 555E. When I need a good oil, I've purchased Chevron 1000 THF, but recently with the price increases, this oil is $80 for 5 gallons. TSC is selling Mobil Delvac for $60, which I believe is very comparable. I've used Mobil Delvac for engine oil, but never hydraulic. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/mobil-delvac-tractor-hydraulic-fluid-5-gal-124788 https://www.chevronlubricants.com/en_us/home/products/chevron-1000-thf.html If it were you, would you buy Mobil instead of Chevron? My need is to change out the front hubs and front/rear axle oil.
Well, as wise men around here have said before, if the label says anything about "tractor" or "universal" it shouldn't be put inside anything that is any good ...
While I do agree with you, the oil my 555E calls out is for NH134D and that oil is also considered "universal". They use this oil in every reservoir other than the motor oil.
Sounds like tractor hydraulic oil. It's pretty universal. My cue is if the printing on the package lists any agencies that show certification specifics. ISO or SAE or maybe even mil spec would be my first consideration.
I don't have a problem with a Mobil product, Nige says stick with a major oil company and Mobil is that as far as I know. I'd think Mobilfluid 424 would be a more appropriate product, it was readily available at that price for a few years, now not as common. Here is what Delvac Universal Tractor Fluid says: Recommended for: API GL-4, Caterpillar TO-2, Denison UTTO/THF, Ford New Holland ESN-M2C-134-D and FNHA-2C-201.00, John Deere J20C, and more. Meets or exceeds the requirements of the following industry and builder specifications: Kubota UDT1 and ASTM D6973 (Eaton 35VQ) vane pump test. NOTE: meets two specs, recommended for several. And here's Mobilfluid 424: This product is recommended for use in applications requiring: Allison C-4 API GL-4 CATERPILLAR TO-2 CNH MAT 3505 CNH MAT 3525 DENISON UTTO/THF FORD ESN-M2C134-D FORDNH FNHA-2-C-201.00 JICASE MS 1204 JICASE MS 1205 JICASE MS 1206 JICASE MS 1207 JICASE MS 1209 MASSEY FERGUSON CMS M1135 MASSEY FERGUSON CMS M1141 AGCO Powerfluid 821 XL New Holland WB NWH 410B This product meets or exceeds the requirements of: ASTM D6973 (Eaton 35VQ) vane pump test KUBOTA UDT CATERPILLAR Multipurpose Tractor Oil (MTO) JOHN DEERE JDM J20C This product has the following approvals: VOLVO WB-101 ZF TE-ML 03E ZF TE-ML 05F ZF TE-ML 17E NOTE: has four approvals, and meets four specs, and recommended for some also. Recommended means they think it will work, but haven't met the spec, or haven't spent the money to prove it met the spec? the Chevron product has lots of recommendations, but only two approvals, so no idea where that ranks? Basically all of the products are produced by major oil companies for this use, tractor trans hydraulic fluid, and are all much better than the $20-30 green or yellow bucket.
Mobile 424 and Delvac Tractor are the same product, I believe. Anywho, I don’t see a problem using it in your application. Chevron continues to jack with pricing and allocation. Save a few bucks with the Mobil.
Appreciate all the responses. I’m sort of leaning towards the Mobil as well, but figured I would ask of an opinion other than mine.
I did find funny I looked at the price of the TSC brand and it’s actually more than the Mobil by $5. Couldn’t believe it.
I was eyeing the Mobile too, but the $20 shipping kills the deal for me. They don't carry it in store. Looks like it has the anti-chatter additive which is impressive. That's something Travelers does not have.
You might be able to see if they will ship to store for free. They don't have it locally for me either, but I am going to go up to the Family Farm and Home store and see if they will price match.
I might check various store locations through the website. The default one didn't allow shipment to store. Price matching...that's a good idea. My local Oreilly's stopped price matching liquids when the price of oil shot up. It was super convenient while it lasted.
I’ve always just used AW46 hydraulic oil in my new holland hydraulic tank. No brand preference. I figure that the hydraulics are a simple system and it’s not worth spending to much.. especially if a hose blows, and you lose gallons before you notice it. The transmission and axles I am a little more particular when it comes to the oil.
I'd run whatever you can get best price and local or shipped free. We've fed just about everyone's tractor fluid to the older NH skidsteers and hoes without complaints.
Funny-a friend who manufactured grape , bean and pea harvesters-years back asked a hydraulic firm about the oil to use in the harvesters-------------10x40. That was 40 plus years ago and many of those harvesters are still running and just adding motor when needed.