Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic fluid spec 2006 CAT287b

ianjoub ยท 2019-05-15 14:57

I did a search, too many results with my search terms. CAT0287BCZSA03116 What hydraulic oil can I buy at NAPA, Tractor Supply, Autozone, et al that meets the CAT specs (or will work without harming anything) in my machine? TIA

Replies9
  1. #1Nige2019-05-15 15:28

    You mean all those locations otherwise known collectively as "Joe Blow's Gas & Groceries"..? In a word - don't. Good quality oil & filters are the best bang-for-your-buck insurance policy you can possibly buy for a machine. Buy some decent branded (oil company brand) SAE10W hydraulic oil. Another suggestion would be to ask your local Cat dealer. They often have offers on oil & filter purchases that makes them competitive with the parts house brands you mention in your OP.

  2. #2ianjoub2019-05-15 21:06

    The machine dumped 5 gallons of fluid loading it on the trailer. I need to unload it to find the problem, then potentially reload it to take for repair if not simple (a hose), then unload it there. I was looking for a cheaper solution that $50/ 5 gal. pail (times 4 or 5 pails).

  3. #3Nige2019-05-16 04:25

    In that case AW32 hydraulic oil.

  4. #4ianjoub2019-05-16 08:22

    Thanks

  5. #5Nige2019-05-16 10:16

    Apologies for the rant about fluids, but not getting all the relevant info up front sometimes makes it hard to give good advice/suggestions.

  6. #6ianjoub2019-05-16 14:05

    No worries. Looks as if I am going to tackle the leak myself. I think I need to pull the track off to get to the hose ends. I looked in there and there appeared to be no way to get a wrench to the hose ends for tightening or removal with the track in place. Is this a correct observation? I can't get in there far enough to ID the source of the leak with track in place... Also, it looked like there were 2 bolts that held the slide/tension plate locked down. Is that it besides the threaded adjuster? TIA

  7. #7ianjoub2019-05-16 15:25

    Alas, it is a hose, good news for me! It is one of the hoses to the drive motor, comes from the pump (area) I'm sure. I lifted the cab but will likely need to free the pump motor end of the hose and wiggle it to see where it comes into the main frame, then trace it to its other end. Does the 'book' have one removing the track and drive motor to get the hose off of that end? I may be able to access it with a crow's foot, but it looks difficult at best. I could cut the line at the fitting and get a socket on there for removal, but that won't help me install the new line.

  8. #8Mobiltech2019-05-17 09:20

    I have replaced the main drive hoses on mine. There is one for sure on each side that requires track and sprocket removal to get off. Be very careful about getting dirt in motor . The hoses for mine were about $500 Canadian each. There should be 4 bolt holding the drive to the frame. 2 at the back of the motor and 2 down on top of the main frame.

  9. #9ianjoub2019-05-17 09:55

    Starting a new thread for this... Thanks!